Managing a fat doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Dec 14, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I have a doe (the one recovering from an impaction) who is about a 4 on the body condition score. She was dried off prior to being bred 78 days ago and has had no grain since, just alfalfa hay and browse. How do I take her into pregnancy so that she is not so fat yet has all the nutrients she needs. She didn't get fat until after drying off.

2. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Unless you're looking at a different scoring chart, 4 isn't all that fat.

Tom

3. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I used the one that goes from 1 to 5. I'm worried about adding grain to her diet which I normally would do right about now. Do they need grain for the nutrients in it or the energy it provides?

4. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Oh--I haven't seen that one--only the one that goes from 1 thru 9 or 10, whihch puts 4 about right.

Tom

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They don't need any grain until 100 days pregnant, then start very very slowly, working up to what she needs on the milkstand. Some does need very little grain to get the energy they need, they get most of what they need from alfalfa pellets. Next year when you are drying her up take her off of grain and her alfalfa until you breed her, or keep her in milk until 100 days bred. Vicki