Management for good production

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Hi y'all
    I always seem to be hearing that this feed or that feed is wonderful :/. I have a goat who dislikes molasses in her feed so many of the dairy goat feeds are out for us. Pellets concern me as I can't tell what's in them :nooo. I've been feeding oats, shredded beat pulp,sunflower seeds as grain on the milk stand, nice alfalfa hay( from WY or CO) free choice, alfalfa pellets twice a day, techmaster complete free choice. I also copper bolus & use Bo-Se. I've heard I should be using a higher protien feed or that I should also be giving grass hay. My does have done well- most have hit what they need for their * & last year we had 2 does make top 10, but I wonder if they could be doing even better :). Sara- you always seem to have a lot on top 10- what do you do? or what do others of y'all do?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

With nice alfalfa hay why would you also need grass hay? When feeding for production it is important to have protein, do you need more with the alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay? Soybeanmeal is readily available in Texas and the does love it, as is the nutritional supplement knock offs of calfmanna, head start, Wendlands supplement pellet etc...plus you get the boost of having a wonderful vitamin and mineral pellet in your mix on the milkstand twice a day. I would use a combo of it and if I could get it local and not have to drive to Bryan (roasted soybeans).

Our lactation pellets and premixes around us are simply crap. Bakery products, molassas, fish and feather meal as proteins.

Also I don't need to bolus my milkers using techmaster. V

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I have 'heard" there are some issues with feeding goats soy bean products. Are these concerns founded?

4. Pam,

Here is how I feed my does. Before people start jumping all over me for feeding this way...you have to remember...you are feeding a rumen first and an animal second.

Morning milking...does that are above avg in the milk get 2 pounds of 16% grain mix. If they are milking over 20% above herd avg then they get bean meal on top of it also. If they are milking below herd avg then they just get what the one before them left or nothing at all. Milking starts at 6am. 8am...they get 1 pound of barley as a whole herd and alfalfa hay. Noon...they get some alfalfa pellets as a group and a good grass hay. 3pm...come back with about 60% grass and 40% alfalfa hay. Then night milking at 530pm the same grain as the morning. After the night milking they are giving a grass alfalfa mix hay again. Plus, 1 pound of rolled barley.

Ken

5. NubianSoaps.com

Soy has been the protein of choice in livestock forever. Corn is the energy of choice. Putting human ideas onto our livestock that we don't even know if they are facts in humans, makes for very expensive to raise livestock.

The same amounts of estrogens found in soy and in some cases more is found in clover and other feed stuffs. There simply isn't a better improver of protein.

Ken, when I milked alot more goats we also fed like this, small meals throughout the day especially in our heat...not feeding at all in mid day and feeding early morning and late late nights small meals before and after milking. Vicki

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Ok, with no more Bluebonnet feed's, what are you feeding Vicki ??? I cant get Beet pulp or Soybean meal here in Tyler and it's mostly pellet feed .

7. Suthrn

Suthrn New Member

It would be a way to drive, but not too terribly bad, if you can't find a feed store in Tyler who will order what you need, we have a feed store in Diana, Tx which is about 15 miles N. of Longview that would order what you need. Jody is the lady who runs the feed store and honestly will order anything you need. I have gotten beet pulp from her a lot.
    Linda/Suthrn
    I live at Ore city/Lake of the Pines
    waving :crazy to another "east Texan"

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I feed a mixture of COB (heavy on the oats), BOSS and an added ADE mineral supplement.

I really think the key to our milk production in the quality alfalfa hay we feed. We have purchased hay from the same guy for 10 years - 25 tons a year delivered an unloaded into our hay shed. This is the best hay in the area with high RFV and protein.

We also feed a wonderful grass hay that is home grown. The goats really love this grass hay and I also think it plays a part in overall health and milk production. We usually feed our own oat hay as well, but the last couple years the growing conditions were not conducive to a good crop and we didn't get much off of our field.

A quality mineral, sea kelp and sodium bicarb are offered free choice, not to mention several sources of fresh, clean water.

We really don't do anything out of the ordinary. I prefer to keep things simple. :)

Sara

9. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Ours is very similar to Sara's feed program. Except we can not grow any hay for ourselves. :)

Our main hay is high quality alfalfa, but we do give them a snack of high quality 2nd cutting orchard grass hay several days a week. Goats are browsers, so we figure they may get something out of the grass hay they can't get in the alfalfa.

Curious, Sara, is the ADE supplement a dry supplement you top dress with or mix into your grain mix? Do you order it from your feed store or something else? Sounds like something I would like to tweak into my program.

Ditto on the quality mineral (including Diamond V yeast) with kelp added. We also offer baking soda free choice. Our dairy goats go through a LOT more mineral and baking soda than our Boers do, except when the Boers are about 1 month from kidding and the 8-10 weeks their kids are nursing.

Simple is best!

Camille

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK_ so I guess I'll quit worrying so much :). I may add some of the grass hay free choice to what I do. I currently get really nice alfalfa thru some people who supply many of the big horse ranches around & they get it from WY or CO- it's pricey but is such nice quality & usually comes with a high protien analysis. They also bring it & stack it for me :). I have sudan for my dry does & I may start offering some of that to my milkers too. I wish I could feed mine more often, but since I work a real job to support my goat addiction :), twice a day will have to do.

11. chewie

chewie New Member

so are you folks adding soybeans/meal/pellets to your feeds? my current milker is dropping production fairly fast--and i am beginning to think its me, as this is the second one to do this. or it could simply be the time of year, i just dont' know. i feed oats, corn, boss, and pulp (for now, but think my source is also drying up) would i do well to add soy? soymeal is possible here, would this be something to use?

our grain bin had a case of the weevels, which eat the 'heart' out of the kernels of corn or oats. they are gone now, but i think they may have done enough damage to ruin the grain? i am planning to buy a bag from town to see a diff. i worry that the grain is now basicly 'empty' filler. anyone else have this issue?

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

I would like to know about adding whole soybeans to feed program?? Roasted or green? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
    Shawna

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Saying Hi !! :crazy Linda/Suthrn

The feed stores around here change feed types, but for now I feed a All stock pellet 12%,Alfalfa pellets 17% and a small amount of sweet feed type with yeast and other good stuff in it , so far it's worked well , now if I can find good hay type that they will eat :/

14. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I agree with Shawna I am interested in how best to supplement my feed with soybeans, maximizing protien etc. What is the optimum protien % of feed?

15. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

The grain mix that I am using calls for whole roasted soybeans. I have only been using this grain mix for a few months and I have already seen amazing results. The goats have more energy in general, their coat condition has improved tremendously (It was good before, but it is now much better), and my two slow to grow dry yearlings have gained not only 20+lbs in weight, but also a few more inches in height and length. My mix averaged about $16.00 per 50lb, but I also had it milled when the BOSS and roasted soybeans were at peak price (August). Now that the beans have come in, the price should drop some. The best thing about this feed is that they were actually eating it completely! When I was using commercially available packaged feeds, our goats were refusing the pellets (this was for nearly a year), and overall body condition was faltering. Now that I have everyone on my new feed, I don't think I will ever change it unless I have a problem accessing the ingredients. I will also never go back to a non whole grain ration again.

Just my experience!

Kelly :)

16. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

So Kelly what is the grain mix you are using?

17. chewie

chewie New Member

there are no roasted beans, only meal. would that be a good thing?

18. NubianSoaps.com

Here neither chris, so yes SBM is fine, my girls love it...and soybeanmeal pellets are Calf Manna and the knock off of calf manna that we all talk about. Vicki

19. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have to throw the curve in the soy bean product discussion. As quoted here by Trauger Groh of the PPNF Health Journal who has studied and followed for years the sickening effect of soy on ruminants. Cows that formerly could easily reach the age of 15 years and have 12 calves have on average now less than three calves and reach hardly the age of 6. One main reason is the high percentage of soy in the rations. It works into the buildup of ammonia in the rumen. This affects negatively the liver and then shows up in mastitis and sterility. Off they go to the butcher. Only there can a vet identify the defective livers. The soybean, bringing about high milk yields in the first two lcactations - is the curse of our cattle heerds. And the milk achieved through it is not health promoting either.

20. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I am such a firm believer in roasted soybeans that I roasted raw beans in my kitchen oven for years. My husband was very happy when I found a source for commercially roasted beans.

Jolene