Making Rounds

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by stacy adams, Sep 9, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Does anyone have a way to make a nice "round" without a press? something like a Gouda? I've been straining in muslin, then twisting the top to expel more whey then setting a light weight on top, but I always get a 'knot' area in the cheese after it's formed. I'd like to get a nice wheel going.
    TIA!

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hi Stacy,

I use a round bottomed soup mug to make rounds for soft/semi-soft cheeses.

Christy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make ya a mold and then use your weights.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

So.. if you use a bowl, or some other mold type thingy (yes, that is a technical term!) how do you use a weight on it?
    I may give the stuff a shot without weights at all and see how it turns out... maybe :really

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

When I use a bowl it is for Mozz which doesn't need to drain. If you find a plastic bowl with a good shape you can burn drain holes with a hot nail and use a small plate with a jar of water as a weight.

Christy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have used the icing plastic jugs , burnt holes and then put a cut out lid from a can on top and then canned goods for my weight.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:/ Yea, I know..
    I have a few things that I've burnt holes into :rofl and some even for cheese :D but what I really wanted to do was make a wheel.. like the Gouda with the curved sides..
    I did find some Gouda molds at Leehmans and some other online store and they run about $20. :down
    I may just have to temporarily live with the knot impression in my cheese for a bit longer. :sigh

8. Rose

Rose New Member

If you turn it so the 'knot' is down, the weight of the cheese will smooth out the knot.

Don't squeeze down the cheesecloth after turning.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Thanks Sondra! I thought I was set up to get replies sent to my email... :~/

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

isn't working Stacy and don't know why (notifications)

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, we're rapidly coming to the end of milking season, and so most of my milk is going to customers and soap with a tad going to cheeses. I'd been milking for over 2 years now and am really ready for this break!
    I'm gathering info/stuff together to be at it full swing in the spring. Thanks for the link Sondra!