making larger batch...

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by chewie, Sep 16, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i am about to order a real mold (thanks vicki!) and would like to increase my current recipe, which is basicly the walmart soap. but until now, i've made just tiny baby batches, til i learned a bit more about soaping in general. now i am making too many small batches of the same, so time to graduate!

question is...is there anything i need to be aware of in going from a tiny 2-3lb batch to the 7lb? will tracing take much longer? currently i put all the lye into my frozen milk chunks at one time, should i do this differently with a larger amt of lye? i am using all GM without any water. i have 9 (oh boy!!) new scents from WSP, all in 4 oz jars (was getting the samplers!) so i want to use one scent per batch, one loaf each. anything you think i should know before getting 'bigger' would be really appreciated!

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I soap my 7lbs batches just like smaller ones..I do like to sample every FO in a small batch first..so I know what its going to do. I usually start with sample sizes of anything new so that I don't waste a batch because a FO gets ahead of me or I hate the scent. It also tells me how it will discolor etc.
    Your going to love making the bigger batches! I love filling up my shelves!

3. chewie

chewie New Member

i AM really excited! there is such a feeling of accomplishment when i see my shelf with all those soaps! and the kids love going to see them, handle them and then pick out favorites!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I always add lye gradually to my frozen milk but have never done small batches only the 7lb batch

5. chewie

chewie New Member

good to know, my batches are quite small but am going to around 7lb. so i will add slowly thanks.