Made my first cheese!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Tracy in Idaho, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

After all these years of -- I'll get around to it -- I finally made some mozarella and it turned out great! It was so easy too!

I did pasteurize it first, cause the recipe said to :??? It also said to pasteurize the milk to make ricotta and basically any soft cheese -- my question is, do I have to???

Does it make that big of a difference? I'm not making cheese to sell btw, just to eat!

Tracy

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Congratulations on your first cheese!!

I never pasteurize milk for cheese :D

Christy

3. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I don't pasteurize either.
    Mozarella sounds so complicated to make :/
    I started to make a Parmesan today and did accidentally put 1/2 tsp lipase in. Anybody out there has a clue if that is chicken food now? I normally use the lipase only for feta.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

How many gallons of milk in your recipe and what kind of lipase (type K or ??)

Christy

5. Gabe

Gabe New Member

4 gallon and on the bottle it says, lipase powder 600 , calf lipase.
    It already start smelling :/

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You should be fine, that's not the strong one :D The flavor will mellow and and deepen into the classic Parmesan as it ages. Good for you! Parmesan is only for the very patient. I aged mine for 6 months and it was great!

Christy

7. Gabe

Gabe New Member

It is in the press now. I so hope it does not matter, because every other step went so well. :D
    I made one last week and it looks so good.
    Did you oil your Parmesan or did you wax it?

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I did a 24hr salt brine, dried it for a week then waxed it.

Christy

9. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I did the salt brine too and after drying, put olive oil on the outside. I might have to repeat the oil :):