Made Chevre for 1st time

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by mamatomany, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Well, I attempted to make some chevre as an alternative to cream cheese. It came out like leather, very dry not spreadable yucky mess. I did the recipe correctely, can't really screw it up, but I think I man handled the curd :blush2 I put the curd into a pillow case and squeezed and squeezed, I was thinking geez 6 hours to get the whey out, hummmm there must be a quicker way. I twisted the top and scraped...The cheese had no taste either. Is commercial cream cheese salted? :help I followed the recipe in Goats Produce too - The Udder Real Thing by Mary Jane Toth. thanks everyone.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No, in fact you didn't follow the recipe correctly. It says to hang the cheese, not squeeze it until all the life is out of it. Don't squeeze the cheese! :)

I love the Fromage Blanc culture. The directions are in the cheese recipe sticky.

Sara

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I replied earlier to this post, but can't find it now. Yes, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE CHEESE! Also when I was having problems with dry cheese I cut back my rennet a little and now have creamier cheese. I'm not familiar with that recipe, so not sure why it doesn't have any taste. What culture did you use?

Im sure commercial cream cheese is salted, isn't everything??

Tiff

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I think I will try the formage blanc....thanks

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You will love it Linda! Do you have the culture packets?

Sara

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

No, I was just reading that??? What do I need?

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

To make Fromage Blanc I use a culture packet. It is sooooo easy and soooooo yummy!

Sara

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

When you are ready to take your Chevre to the next level you will LOVE working with the culture packets! I was never happy with the recipes that called for diluted rennet and buttermilk. This is the culture we (Sara, and others here) use,
    http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/138-Fromage-Blanc-DS-5-pack.html
    Each packet can be used to turn 1 to 2 gallons of milk into fresh creamy cheese :D

Christy

9. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Thanks girls....I was just reading that I not only kill my cheese, but by trying to make it colder by shaking the heck out of it after I milk I am sabatashing (sp?) my efforts in the first place..someday I will learn.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey Linda we all learn something new everyday :) by the way I am one and believe only one that doesn't care for the FB :)

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I reserve a bit of whey when I make Chevre. If I forget the cheese {no not me every ! } and it gets too dry I just add some whey back in . I also use a mixer to mix in the whey and what ever flavoring I may use.

Patty