Machine milking & stripping

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Hey Sara-- wasn't sure whether to put this here or on OT, so move it if you think it needs it :)

Since it's almost time to start the milker up again (been doing the 3 I've had fresh by hand) I thought I'd get some thoughts on whether or not those of you who milk by machine strip the does out by hand afterwards?

I asked a NW gal what she did in her dairy, and she says she never strips by hand after the machine comes off because the does will just hold more and more up in their udder for you to strip. I heard the same thing from a gal who had a commercial dairy -- now of course their goats ran through a raised parlor too, so they weren't very accessible to hand strip anyhow.

Then the other train of thought seems to be that if you *don't* take that milk out, you run the risk of mastitis and lower their production. I know one big breeder who does strip each goat out by hand afterwards....but hers don't seem to hold back the amount of milk that mine do.

Sooo--- what do you do? I know last year we were taking inflations off when they seemed to be done, and then massaging them to drop again and putting them back on. Agatha and her daughter both seem to hold back a big amount of milk, and of course I don't want to jeopardize their production in any way....but neither do I really want to have to sit and hand milk all the goats I just machine milked! :help

Tracy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I always, well not strip but massage and sqeeze last amounts into the inflation just because that is how Vicki showed me and with my heaviest producers this is just what needs to be done

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Tracy,
    I do exactly as you do...take the inflations off and massage and put them back on. I've only got a couple that I have to do that on. A 4yr. and a 5 yr....the rest are milked down to maybe a squirt left. Not worth putting the inflation back on.

Now, here's some advice I got years ago...and I don't know how much truth there is to it..?? If your udder preparation is done correctly and they have let their milk down before you put on the inflation..they milk out better, IF they don't flood your claws. Reason I went from the quick claw to the Vangard claws...the two older ones did milk out better after I FINALLY got them at the end of the milking season.?? Will see this year.

HEY KEN in MO....what's your unbiased opinion on this??? :really
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Not all my does milk out all the way on the machine. And yes I massage and finish everyone by hand. But I also don't milk 100's of goats :) Vicki

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I do the exact same as Vicki and have since I started milking by machine. I milk anywhere from 20-30 does in a given year.

Sara

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Ditto on Vicki and Sara's method.

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

So general consensus is that yes, you do have to get all the milk out? :) Wonder why the folks who don't (dairies) apparently have no problems?

Kaye, you have those saucer-shaped Vangaurds? Do they have the pulstator in them?

I picked up a set of the new pink IBA inflations -- I'm curious to see if their heavier weight doesn't help them keep from climbing and milk them out better.

Tracy

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:really Ummm...they are oval shaped. No, no pulsator, it's on the bucket. Though I do lock the shut off in them to open and use shut offs in the long inflations. DH griped because he couldn't get them to work right. Since he milks while I'm gone...I ain't rocking that boat!

Did the inflations you got last year...with the X cut in the top...not stop the climbing? Have to know because they are on my want list!
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

But I bet their milk amounts suck :) If you leave milk in the udder every 12 hours, they will eventually make that much less...right? Oh you know darn well Ken is going to come on and blow all this out of the water...course not that I am changing :) Vicki

10. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Well, I am not the Ken you were hoping for, but when I milk by machine, I wait til no more milk is flowing, then remove the claws, massage and finish by hand.

Now when I managed the Meridian Heights Goat Dairy, we never milked them out by hand. For 2 reasons.

1. We were milking over 100 does
    2. State law forbid us to milk by hand. The milk that was stripped would have to be dumped.

I personally feel that with any milk you leave in the mammary, you risk a drop in production. Reason being, think of how you dry them up.. you leave milk in the udder....

Just my little o'le opinion.

The Other Ken

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Awww... Ken, your opinion counts on here too. ;)
    Hey, right now...I'm all about getting more milk outa' this Saanen!! :mad AND YES, I bred her to a "Milk" buck...just to hopefully get more out of her daughter! She's REALLY working her way to the top of the cull list!!She doesn't even appreciate the new milk stand...imagine that! Uh, could be because she's an absolute coward and the only one coming into the milk room! Such a big scary place...from 3 months ago! Pfffttt.... :sigh
    Kaye

12. Well,

This has been a long thought out debate for years....milk them till no more...or strip them afterwards?

What I have found is milk them out with the machine and once the machine comes off then she is done milking. Yes, there is some milk "left" in the udder. But, the max amount of the milk that you are going to get out of the udder is just 60 to 70% anyways. No matter if you stand there all day squeezing away on the poor girl.

Alot of goat people will machine milk then come back and strip out what is still in the ducts of the udder. But, no way will they get all the milk that is produced.

The best thing with milk let down is let their Oxytocin do the work for ya...why work at something that you can get from free. The best way is make sure your udder prep is on target. Massage teats for at least 15 seconds...then place the unit on no later than 90 seconds. If you keep with a standard routine then they will let down the milk without a problem. The key thing is when you start milking that is all you are doing. Keeping with the times and making sure that the prep work is done the same every milking by every person that is milking. The more you keep it the same the more milk that you are going to get out of the animal. That is why on big dairies they will have everything wrote down step by step. Do this first for x amount on time...then within so many seconds do this next step...so on and so on. The highest level of release of oxy, is roughly around 60 to 90 seconds. That gets you the highest peak milk and the fastest let down. The oxy level has leveled out at 180 seconds...down to nothing at about 300 seconds. If you watch how your goats milk that will tell you how their oxy levels are.

The general rule on watching them is...within 5 hits of the pulsator there should be milk right at going into the bucket/pipeline. That means she has let down her milk to the rate that is the highest. In high producers alot of time they will start to leak milk when they have let down. Now, before you start throwing a cow at this, this is what you want. She has released her milk, and is primed ready for the machine. This is very common on high producers....high producers=milking greater than 15% of body weight.

After you have made sure that your prep is where it should be then you have to look at is it the equitment? The right inflations for the animals, the vaccum set right on the pump, teat end vaccum at the right level....blah blah blah. Most people will get some inflation that someone else has said that works...well might work at their place but not yours. I am a FIRM believer in the triangle or square inflations. They to me, milk out faster and better than the standard rounds. But, then you have to look at times for them and dont mind spending upwards of $30 a set. If you can find ones that has vents in them, they will milk out faster also. Since they are pushing the milk out of the inflations. Also, watch the bore size of them. ALOT of people will go with a narrow bore, that is fine if they are not milking that well. But, a large bore is mare for larger teated animals and will be gentle on the teat ends with out the back flushing.

Vaccum levels....make sure that they are set right. Look at teat ends, see if they are crawling up on the teats. Most of the time people have the vaccum levels set to high on the units. The inflations should crawl up the teat to a point. When they are milking out, the teats get smaller and will slip up into the inflation. That is normal but, you dont want them to slip onto the udder at all. If you have to pull hard to get them off then they are slipping up way to far on the udder. Also, look and see where the ring is at end of milking...above teat...to far.

What type of claw are you using? That makes a difference there also. I would say you need a high production claw with the milk records that you have gotten. One with a large collection area, not those little auto shut off things. I flooded them all the time. Since your vaccum is going to be WAY lowered if you flood the claw...thus, slow milk out, then not milking out all the way.

Also a general rule of thumb...if they strip out less than 1/2 cup per side. Then they are done. Yes, you can get that last cup of milk, but with the time and everything. I dont see that its worth it in the long run.

Ken in MO

13. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Reads like a "Goatkeeping 101" entry to me! Can it be added?

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I'll add it to Goat Keeping 101.

Sara

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

So where do we find these type inflations?? have never seen them.

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

LHR has them -- http://www.milking-machines.com/Supplies.html though they aren't doing these blue ones anymore, Kaye -- they were having problems with the top of the silicone ripping out, so now they have these pink ones. I am trying them for the first time tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I liked the blue ones just fine -- they don't have a slit cut in the top though, they are just round up top, triangular inside. The new IBA pink ones are a tad heavier.

Tracy

17. Tracy,

If you need more weight on those, there is a easy way to add weight. Just go the the hardware store and get some S hooks...bend one part around the pulsator inlet. Then go to a area fishing store and get fishing weights...the tear drop kind. Most of the time you can just add a little weight to them if the doe needs some extra weight to milk out. That is used in the dairies all the time. I always just used the 2oz weights.

Ken in MO