Machine advice??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Janelle, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Janelle

Janelle New Member

OK, I have carpal tunnel :/
    And hand milking is getting too hard on me. I have nobody to help me, so I am considering a machine.
    Thing is, I am on a very limited budget, & I have to come up w/ a way to get a machine as inexpensive as possible.
    I don't know much about milk machines, so any advice would be helpful.
    I found this one, can anyone give me an opinion on it??

http://www.portablemilkers.com/catalog/item/1586842/5442822.htm

I am only milking 3 does, so I don't need a big bucket. I do like how it is portable so I can take it to shows.
    If anyone has an idea or a milk machine they recommend, I would appreciate it :biggrin

2. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

3. Janelle

Janelle New Member

what did you use for a vacuum pump?? Or is your cost just the bucket assembly?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I sent you a pm Janelle.

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have Hoegger's 2 goat machine, so far love it. Just got it about a month ago...would not say it is very budget-priced though.

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I tired the one you show advertised janelle... but I hated cleaning it. Not worth it in my opinion if your just milking 3 goats.

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3600&cat=0&page=1&featured

I have the Hoeggers one also.. with the one goat belly milker. I absolutely adore it. Only thing to wash is the teat cups and bucket. The rest stays at the barn.
    I only bought the milk pail and teat cups.. the rest I sort of fashioned myself. Made a tank 'tube' from PVC.. and everything attaches or leaves that. My pump came from ebay.. think I payed round $200 for it. Pulsator sits on the PVC tube.. along with the vaccume gauge. Total cost was around $500... which works for me. My setup is a little different than what is showed at Hoeggers. My hoses from the pulsator goes directly to the teat cups.. and I remove those and leave at the barn.. along with the main bucket vaccume tube.

7. Janelle

Janelle New Member

I heard this from one other person too. Is it just there are SO many parts to wash? Is it the surge bucket? Is a different bucket better/easier to clean??

8. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

The little one (or two) belly milker from Hoeggers is so simple to clean.. and it fits in your dishwasher.
    The Surge belly milker.. while holding a lot of milk is a royal pain to clean. It's so big.. it does not fit in the sink.. you have a 'cave' to get inside to clean. and be prepared to clean those long tubes.. because you will.
    Your best bet would be to try and find someone who has both and watch them milk.

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

If you only have 3 goats to milk I would get the uddelyEZmilker.com it is so easy to use and you can get extra bottles and its cheaper than 1500 I went to www.avolinofarms.com and it was cheaper than the original site...a few squeezes and it basically will do the work...everyone has different preferrences I have a belly milker for the cow and it is heavy also. But she puts out lots more milk than the goats do.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Janelle....I know where you are coming from, because a same similar situation exist here.

I'm putting a parts list together right now , so I can build my own small set up. New parts and pieces are adding up to about $250 at this point , including a 1/4 milker (bucket). I have my pump already, so if it will work on this rig, I'm gonna come in under $300.......but if I have to go get another pump, it looks like I'll be in around $450 to $500 total................this is small time, one goat at a time milker, with about 2 gallon capacity. I'm setting it up for 3 to 4 ND's.

Whim