Lysigin Dosing information please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Aug 30, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I got my Lysigin in the mail today, what is the correct dosage? And, do I only give it to does that I will be breeding this season? Kids?

And, would this help/prevent future issues with my old buck that had Mastitis earlier this year?

Thanks so much,

Paula

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use the 5cc. No other vaccines do we go down in the amount given and I also was taught by a judge years ago to use it this way.

When you start out you want to give it to all your does, repeat in 21 days. Then from that point forward you give it to your does you utilize colostrum out of 3 weeks before kidding, and to your virgin does. I time mine so that I am giving their first shot in October then 21 days later it is the first of November and they are getting this shot along with all the other prebreeding things I do for them to be bred in November.

Yes I vaccinate my bucks, they get baby shots along with the girls they were raised with around 8 months old, and again 21 days later. Since alot of my nubain bucks, milk, it's cheap insurance. It's part of the protocal I use on incoming stock...the Alpine Ginger already has had her first shot. Vicki

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Just to make sure I do this right...5cc to everyone, including kids (that are 8 months old or older) and bucks. 21 days later another 5cc to everyone, incuding kids and bucks. Then, 3 weeks before a doe kids give 5cc.

When my 3 and 4 month olds turn 8 months old I start them on the program, correct?

Thanks so much,

Paula

4. NubianSoaps.com

Correct.

The vaccination is essentialy for virgin heifers. So your vaccination program will be for your virgin does. Mine are only virgin until 9 months old hence the early vaccine.

I also only use colostrum in my herd from a handful of older does, so I only give them the booster before kidding. Vicki

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

wow , am I confused. So lets say "Birdy" does she get a shot of this in the fall, and then a shot prekidding? That's how I've been doing it, or with the old matron's just one shot pre kidding?

6. NubianSoaps.com

Yes a booster prekidding just like their CD&T. Paula is starting at the beginning, so her does must have their two shots first to seal immunity...then start prekidding shots only. Vicki

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

How common are staph mastitis and/or staph dermatitis? If you have a backyard herd that you don't take anywhere, is this a concern? I realize staph can get picked up while out and about... can the staph infections that humans get be given to goats? Any possible side effects to this vaccine? Thanks!

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

staph is everywhere so just because you don't go to shows you can or goats can aquire it from the ground

9. NubianSoaps.com

Staph dermatitis is a plague if you have humidity. The Lysigin is what we originally used for this, and will cure it in does who are vaccinated. Staph aureus which is the staph that this vaccine is for, is the staph you have to have to have :) malignant edema/gangrenous mastitis. I have used this vaccine since it was called Stomota staph back in the early 90's, I have never had a case of staph mastitis in anything other than a purchased doe or two, never in my vaccinated herd. I know it works. Vicki