Lysigin Booster

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I hope I'm correct in assuming that Lysigin needs a booster after 21 days of initially administering. Can you give a "booster" to a potentially bred doe? Also, a timing and cooling question...20 minutes to milk out 3 goats. immediately put filtered milk into quart containers and place in pot filled with water and ice and put in the freezer. 30 minutes later the milk still is not at 40 degrees. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the milk to cool quick enough. The milk tastes fine and all, just trying to handle the fragality (is that a word? :blush) of the milk according to the goat milk gospel.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you might could put a bottle of ice in your milk bucket. Believe your right on the booster 21 days

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Also, am I correct that I don't want to give or do anything during the first 14 days? I thought I read that on here at some point?

Thanks,
    Paula

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't think this bothers bred does but really don't know for sure so pm Kaye or Vicki and ask

5. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Are your quart containers plastic or glass? Glass will draw the heat out faster than plastic, and stainless steel is even faster.
    Ray

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I use glass mason jars...I was thinking maybe mid cooling I should spin the container or add more ice...

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I milk mine with the bucket sitting in a tub of ice water & it's then filtered into glass jars that sit in a sink of ice water which has a pond pump to ciculate the water. That cools it good & quick!

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ummm this made me think why not add icecream salt to the ice water as it makes it very cold

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I asked earlier this yr... I was told do the booster BEFORE breeding. I had not been watching my calender and that postponed my first breeding round slightly...

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Optimally you want to have this vaccination done before breeding because they aren't then technically virgin does...does it make a difference, I have no idea. If I missed my virgin does I would just put off doing their vacciations until they were 6 weeks from kidding for their first shot and then 3 weeks before kidding do their boost with their CD&T also. Vicki

11. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

12. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Wonder if this is b/c it's for cattle? It is off-label for goats.. wonder if the 21 day recommendation is specific to goats?

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There are no goat directions, but in no other vaccination that is for cattle do we lessen the amount we use. Also when I first started using Lysigin it was called Stomota Staph and it was bolstered in 21 days. So that is in my head, and I never switched to the 14. Vicki

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I do this with milk I'm selling or holding for more than a day. I don't have a circulating pump, but the gallon jars get set into salted ice water. I also milk over a frozen, sterilized bottle right in the milk bucket. The combination of these two ideas and the milk is 40* in 10 minutes.

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have one of those hoegger supply buckets with the way too small opening to try to aim into.....I have a ss round strainer thingy that you pour the milk into and a plastic adapter for the quart containers. I don't have enough ice for all of what you guys do I guess. What kind of sterilzed bottle do you place inside the bucket? What does the salt do? I suppose if I owned an ice cream maker I would know the answer to that..I should try to put the bucket inside a bucket of ice...where does everyone get the ice from? My six month old hears the ice maker start up (on the fridge) and she immediately wakes up! I reverted to filling ice cube trays so as to not wake her. Elephant ears...

16. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Salted ice creates a lower temp than ice alone - chemical reaction thing...
    I use a glass bottle that's partial filled with frozen water. Most of the time I'm using boiling water for sterilizing, but for the glass bottle that doesn't work so I use a sanitizing solution right before it goes into the milk bucket. Milk, then wash up the jar same as the other milking buckets. Pay attention to the lid area. Sanitize and refreeze.

For ice (don't even have an icemaker LOL) I take 8 small plastic buckets - think gallon icecream size- and freeze them about 1/4 - 1/3 full. I filter my milk into the gallon jars. Set that in the deep dishpan, put the ice chunks around the jars, sprinkle generously a cup or so with rock salt (same as for icecream, 25 lbs of it at the feed store is a couple bucks), and add enough cold water to fill. Lots of ice and salt just like for icecream... When your milk is cold pour the water into the drive for grass control and save the precipitated salt that;s in the bottom of the dishpan for the next time.

17. ali923

ali923 New Member

Judith,
    If I read correctly, you said that you are chilling your milk in gallon jars, if you chill your milk in smaller jars, there is less heat in one are to chill, so in theory your milk should be able to get cooler faster. I've only used qt jars to chill milk in, and I would not chill more than a half a gallon in a bucket at a time. Also, when I did chill it in a bucket, I used frozen plastic water bottles to put in the water to chill it.

18. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Allison, this is true. Quarts would chill faster than a gallon. In quarts an ice water bath would probably be sufficient without the salt. However the gallon jars are 40* in 10 minutes my way, which is quick enough. With several gallons per milking there is no way I want to deal with all those qt. jars, then taking up more room in the fridge, and handling 4 or 8 jars instead of 1 or 2 when passing milk on.
    Now ideally I'd have a milk room with a cooling sink and a circulating pump, maybe even new plastic jugs for the extra milk or at least plenty of storage for the jars in all stages of use...and that's the extended plan! :D

19. coso

coso Guest

I thought on a lot of the CD/Ts it was 5ml for cattle and 2ml for goats and sheep ???