Lye

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by VickiLynne, Jan 5, 2009.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Ok, my local source for lye has dried up. They decided not to carry it any longer. So now I will have to order it online. Which is the best/least expensive place to obtain lye?

Thanks,

Vicki in NC

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would hunt down a new soruce. There is simply no way you can't get it local if you look hard enough. The shipping on lye makes it twice as much or more than you can get it with local pickup. I do have to drive about an hour to get mine but at less than $1 a pound and I pick up several 50 pound bags, it is worth it.

Where did they purchase it from? Perhaps you could purchase it that way? Vicki

3. dblvon

dblvon New Member

Vicki,
    I live in the Houston area. Who do you get your lye from?

4. NubianSoaps.com

See I didn't even put two and two together :)

Up in Huntsville is the only contact I will give out of mine...sorry but some things are sacred :)

Sierra Manufacturing
    Aaron Hooper
    936-291-9522

He is right on 45 North in Huntsville.

I always call before I go, tell him how many bags, and when I will be there, so I don't miss him at lunch or in his lab. Vicki

5. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Gail,

In Pasadena area AAA Chemical, listed in the supplier section. They have both Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide. I have not used them but will try their Potassium Hydroxide -- I need a local source.

Linda

6. dblvon

dblvon New Member

The last bit of lye that I purchased was from AAA. Good service and would recommend them but I think it was more expensive and also paid shipping charges. I only soap for friends and family. I have other family members that soap also so we could share lye. $1.00 a pound sounds like a good deal to me. AAA is having a sale on coconut oil for about a $1.00 lb too. Also sounded good to me because I have been buying mine at walmart and heb and it is getting expensive.

7. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thank you ladies!

Vicki in NC

8. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Has anybody tried Boyers? I was thinking on trying them out for their bulk. Tammy

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have ordered from them Tammy. Great customer service and fast shipping.

Sara

10. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I just ordered from Boyers. It cost me $421.12 to ship 280 pounds to SE Indiana. I've done it before and been very pleased with them. Supposedly there is a place in Louisville that carries lye, but I can't find them.

PJ

11. Caprine Beings

Good. I am going to get lye from them then. They have the 50lbs that I think might get me through half a year. And its the brand I use the most. I got some lye from another company that came in plastic jars and it just didn't seem to be the same. There was also like a staticy effect when I poured it out, it went everywhere. I didn't care for that too much. Tammy

12. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

We choose to get the lye in the 10 pound boxes. They are only a few pennies more than the 50 pound bucket - and they are just so much more convenient. I feel much safer dealing with a ten pound box than I do a 50 pound bucket. :)

PJ

13. NubianSoaps.com

Ours all come in bags out here, these thick thick white plastic bags, some then have paper wrappers on the outside that are like feed sacks, some don't. They come shrink wrapped on pallets. At $1 per pound the person sells half the pallet at that price and gets their half of the pallet for free...just so you know how much some are really charging. Vicki

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I am picking up some tomorrow at $1.08 pound. Guy said they just had a price increase and felt bad about charging me that. LOL

15. Caprine Beings

OH MY GOSH, I just saved $40.00 by ordering thru Boyer. I was able to get a box of 2 lb cans and shipping for $64.00 compared to Nu-Scents that wants $68.?? w/shipping! Wow I am impressed. Next order I can get the bigger box of 4/10lb. YAY! I love our supplier list :biggrin Tammy