Luted the whole herd...just about

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I decided to lute all five of my does instead of just the two I didn't want to breed back to their sire. I saw my buck breed two does, and got the dates. Then he started jumping the fence into their paddock, but I never saw anyone else in heat. I got my lute today and decided to lute everyone whom I was unsure of. I HAVE to know exact breeding dates as I attend every birth. My question is....I luted around 6-8pm, depending on the doe and her feeding order. Now, they are all acting crazy, like they are in heat! How fast does Lute act? They can all be bred at any time as they are at weight.. I just need to know the exact date as I CANNOT waste so many vacation days this spring waiting on kids. I NEED to know exactly when I can lute so I can be present for births. I have never done this before, just luted one doe last spring to bring on birth and it did work. Is it 36 hours before abortion if they were pregnant? If not pregnant, will they start cycling soon?
    Thanks so much....anita

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

believe it can be anywhere from 12 to 48 hrs to abort. not sure when the recycling starts , can't remember but the first right after lute is not always a positive out come so has been suggested to wait for the next cycle

3. Anita Martin

how come the outcome is not always positive? Just no kids, or kids with problems? Breeding in Nov. is fine with me.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you use lute after implantation in a good IM shot, it is always going to abort, always going to open the cervic and deliever kids. I would breed on the lute heat since you don't know if you are aborting or using it to bring them into heat.

The problem with lute is if they aren't pregnant and you are bringing them into standing heat out of cycle, it doesn't make them ovulate if ripe eggs are 3 or 4 days away from the breeding, the semen by then isn't viable. So I would expect at least a few to not take on this lute cycle. Vicki

5. Anita Martin

Vickie,
    When would I expect to see a standing heat. How many hours from the Lute time?

6. NubianSoaps.com

24 to 36 hours if you infact gave it to does not in heat....36 to 48 if you gave it to does you actually aborted. Honestly this is just my look up notes on the last one since I abort and then rebreed the next month or when the doe was supposed to be bred, because ethically you then have to DNA the litter, because she was with a different buck during that heat cycle. Vicki

7. Anita Martin

Well, I've been watching them since I got home, and don't see anything out of the ordinary. The buck is in his own area, stalled next to the doe stall, with his own outdoor paddock, and the girls can and do walk by him anytime they want. I'm off for the next few days and am taking notes so I don't forgot all of this by next year.
    Thanks
    Anita

8. Anita Martin

Well, the yard lights and my vision were WAYY off. Four does aborted. One did not abort nor come into heat. I'm not sure what to do about her. I really don't think I want to do this again. It has not been pleasant. I had wormed all of these girls while pregnant, thinking that they were not pregnant, and they were still on cocci treatments due to high numbers one of them had a couple months ago. I rebred two of them to the same buck today then LOCKED the buck in the barn. His paddock is cattle panels and with all these girls in heat walking by I was just so afraid he'd hurt himself in the fence or actually decide to go over it. I found one tiny fetus, and everyone was bloody. Yep, they all had me fooled. I can't believe they were so sneaky and I never saw them in heat. I'm still not sure what to do about the one doe that did not seem to go either way. I am wondering if I didn't really hit her? I did everyone in the dark.. Thought I got her too. What if I got her, and she didn't abort or cycle? Now that I know everyone was already pregnant, three of them were underweight at the time of breeding, were wormed with ivermectin, and were serviced by their sire.....This doe is my largest girl, plenty of size...but she too got the wormer. Between the lute shot and wormer, I'm worried about birth defects.
    anita

9. NubianSoaps.com

It will hurt nothing to give her another shot of lute. It also doesn't cause deformaties it aborts or brings them into heat. vicki

10. Anita Martin

Thanks Vickie. I think I am just going to let this one continue on as is, since the lute does not cause birth defects. I had hoped to bring her into heat, but going by the fact that everyone else was pregnant, I feel she probably is too, and she is bred to the correct sire, so the only thing I don't have is a due date, but I'll have one on everybody else, and they'll also be bred at correct weights. The oldest doe I luted was a FF, and she had a terrible time after she kidded this year. She got very emotional, wouldn't eat, cried all the time, etc. I felt she had a uterine infection and treated her for one on my vets recommend. She is acting the same way again. She's fine if I am in her site and she follows me constantly. She was 6-8 weeks pregnant. I'm worried about her. She was shivering last night so I blanketed her up really good, and their is good, dry bedding in the barn. I will check her temp tonight. Can they get the same things from aborting that they get from kidding, like hypocalcimia, etc. She's been on free alfalfa pellets, good grain, etc. since last winter. I really hadn't thought about her getting sick from this. She really doesn't seem sick, just mentally disturbed. (She's my favorite and a little spoiled maybe).
    Thanks.
    Anita

11. NubianSoaps.com

Goats aren't people :) She wasn't pregnant enough for it to signal her body that she was pregnant. If she is ill it's a huge coincidence. Perhaps it was stressful, so worms are agressevly eating and she is anemic, hence the shivering? Now clue. Does who you take their kids away from can be need afterwards even when they don't see the kids, they just know something happened just not sure what.

Take her temp, what does her membrane color look like? Is she eating enough hay? vicki

12. Anita Martin

She's a little better tonight. temp is normal. Couldn't get a good look at her membranes because I got home way after dark. She has however, been licking me, which is completely abnormal for her, which is why I think she feels a loss of some sort. Everyone else is fine and acts completely normal, even with their bloody tails. Eating just the same. No change. This doe is not eating grain well. I do not know if she is eating her hay. My son was home with her all day, but couldn't tell me anything, except that she was out on the pasture with the other goats mid-day, and she was eating grass. They are due for another fecal check so I'll let her follow me around tomorrow night until I can get a sample.
    Thanks.
    Anita

13. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

How is this doe doing this morning?

14. Anita Martin

She is doing okay, but still not quite normal. I took her temp tonight. It was 102.6. I wormed her with ivermectin. she had just finished a round of corid about 6 days ago. She's still not wanting grain. She gets on the milkstand and I milk her, but she doesn't eat her grain. (and normally she'll eat all the grain I give her, plus try to get extra) I've got lots of vitamins from this spring I'm going to dig out tomorrow and give her after making sure the dates are good. Vit. b and such. She's had bo-se. She did not lick me tonight, nor is she shivering, but I coated her anyway. Hay and pasture is always available and I am assuming she is eating it because her stomach is not shrunken. Just doens't seem to want her grain and is a little fussy. Much improved though over a couple of days ago. Wheww.. Still on watch.
    Anita

15. Anita Martin

Almost back to normal! Ate grain tonight. No shivering. No crying. Out happily with the herd. Bucking, running and chasing the dogs when she was out with me doing chores. Still has a mucusey/bloody discharge, but it's less.
    Anita