Lute working/not working??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

How possible is this?
    Escapade was bred by an escapee Lamancha buckling on September 13th(due date February 5th). Gave her lute 10 days later, she came in good standing heat 3 days after that. Bred her to her intended Lamancha. She never came back in heat and is now *huge*.
    She looks like she could go as early as next week....loosening ligaments, a bit of mucous, etc, etc.
    She could just be getting ready early.......but could she be going to kid to her first breeding?? :/

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Depending on the date and all it should be from the second breeding if she came back into heat after the lute.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Oh the kidding date will tell me for sure. They would be 13-20 days apart. I *know* in my brain that she is bred to the second breeding......but I look at her now and I wonder. :sigh I will know for sure very soon anyway.
    I just wondered if luted does ever seem to abort and breed back, but actually stay bred to the first breeding?

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Has never happened with my use of lute. Lute
    Kaye

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Good! I know I am just stressing over nothing.....but I can't help it! This is the year I promised myself a keeper doeling out of Escapade and I don't want an oops kid! :lol

6. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

That's how we got our Obie X Nubian cross's. The Obie buck got in , they luted Haloni and she cycled again and they bred her, she then popped out 3 doeling that were half obie.
    D

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Nooooooooo!!!! I did NOT want to hear that Denise! :crazy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They did not wait until after implantation when the corpus lutem forms.

They did not use 2cc.

They did not get it into the muscle.

It simply can't not work if used correctly, it's plain science. Vicki

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Well, I *know* I did all those things.......Escapade is probably just yanking my chain.... :lol

10. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I'd like to elaborate on Vicki's comment about the corpus luteum. A really interesting temporary endocrine gland that forms from the ovarian follicle that releases an egg. It secretes progesterone and estrogens that prepare the uterine wall to allow implantation of a fertilized egg (it's there before implantation) and then maintains the pregnancy. There is some refractory period between ovulation and the maturation of the CL to full function (and thus implantation of the fertilized egg) -- 5 to 7 days for cattle and horses, 14 days for pigs. I found a research article that referred to goat implantation occuring as late as Day 18. So, it you gave Lutalyse at 2 cc IM on Day 10, there may have been no implantation yet as well as a CL that was not yet fully functional and hence not destroyed by the Lutalyse. That CL may have finished developing and allowed implantation. Just a hypothesis!

May be time to get out the pliers and yank some hairs from between that newborn's toes for DNA testing ...

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I found a research article that referred to goat implantation occuring as late as Day 18. So, it you gave Lutalyse at 2 cc IM on Day 10, there may have been no implantation yet as well as a CL that was not yet fully functional and hence not destroyed by the Lutalyse. That CL may have finished developing and allowed implantation. Just a hypothesis!

Thanks Tricia! This is actually my winter project, been up to the University twice already. There are goat research papers showing 14 to 17 days. Much longer than what we have always been 'told'. Vicki

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Well if that so I'll be naming them after this forum.......since I got my timing info from you guys. :lol
    There won't be any doubt on the kids sire though. Either they will be full term kids born in a couple days or they will be full term kids born around the 19th.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Hhhhmmm...interesting. I'd also be interested to see the notes you've gotten, Vicki.
    Kaye

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I'm horribly afraid she is in labour. :mad Or maybe she just feels my eyes on her and feels sadistic..... :crazy

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UMM well hope everything goes ok. Guess you'll know who the daddy it and will prove the lastest info

16. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

She is just yanking my chain. The odd behaviour that made me think "labour" was her reaction to these terrible temperature swings. Poor thing is so hot right now......No labour yet.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well today is your 1st due date isn't it??

18. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yes it was......she is completely back to her normal self now that its cold again. I expect she will kid in a couple weeks on her proper due date. :D

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:biggrin she is just using her rights by the "Doe's Code of Honor"

20. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yes she is and its working!! I hadn't been that antsy in 8 years since my first does kidded. :lol