lute questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Nov 6, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

some time ago, my too young doelings got bred by their brother, so i luted them, seen nothing happen afterwards. now they are in heat, so that's good. a friend had a doe she luted recently but her's is all bloody now for a couple weeks, and almost quit milking. i of course wasn't milking my babies, but why such a drastic diff.? i feel kinda bad after i told her how easy it was on mine, now her's is a mess! i guess the doe is eating fine, all else seems fine, but messy. is this normal?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How far into the pregnancy was she? Just like with normal delivery you can and will have things go wrong during this early misscarriage/abortion. And just like with a bad kidding, a little oxytocin to help her clean or even another shot of lute...and uterine infection from this abortion be problematic, is the number one reason for no milk in a just fresh doe, so it could also explain the reason she is not milking now.

Get her to the forum or you can have her call me late tommorrow afternoon...281-592-3039

Have her take a temp....is the discharge stinky? Vicki

3. chewie

chewie New Member

the gal doesn't have internet (older gal). said not any smell, and is a bit cleaner today. says goat acts fine. gal doesn't seem too worried, but i wanted to know in case it ever happens to me. i will pass on the info to her tho., but its up to her. oh, i think the doe was only a month or so along, but the wrong buck got in with her, so she wanted to terminate. i'll pass the number as well, that is very kind of you to offer!

shall i tell her to lute again? or just call you?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No fever and no smell, no biggy then. If you lute early you most of the time don't see anything on abortion....later of course you do, but it doesn't go on and on like this. I don't do alot of third party stuff and prefer a phone call from the person because alot is lost in translation :) vicki

5. chewie

chewie New Member

i called her today, and she said it looks to be clearing up. dont' blame you, third party stuff doesnt' work so well--i sure dont' wanna be the middle man either! i now learned the doe was bred when she got her, so it may have been longer bred than thought. it was a pity purchase, but she wanted to breed the doe with her own boer buck. (this is saanen doe) i was also happy to hear things were clearing up. this is the one other goat person in my area that i talk to, so now you see the reason i need to ask questions here so much!