lutalyse the milkfevr doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Jan 10, 2009.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I wasn't planning on Luting any does this year since I am home 6 out of 7 days of the week other than a split 4 hour drive Since this year she's already started on her milk fever, I guess I should probably lute her next week Unless she's doing much better. I for sure saw her in Heat on the August 23rd, I'm sure she was bred on the 24th, I saw all the signs not the breeding though. she likes to go two days late with hers pregnancies. So when should I lute her If she doesn't Improve much. she'ld be day 150 on the 21st, left to her own device she won't kid till the 23 or 24th.
    I'ld like live Kids, but She's the Important thing. It would be nice to get her back in the ring. and finish her.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

7 days from when she would kid, not 150 days but her normal kidding routine. So on the 17th. If you give the shot then with some dex you still have about 36 hours, which will give you kids 5.5 days early.

You can have her KID a week early by giving the shot and dex 36 hours before that day, the evening of the 15th, but that is even pushing it for work free kids. Unless you are saving her life I would not give lute more than 10 days early...you will then start into kids who really aren't mature in the lungs, will have problems sucking and a doe who will not have a normal lactation.

I would more agressively inject the CMPK and start on PG orally, B vitamins and bo-se daily until she kids. Also add Vitamin E 400 IU daily and if she is getting no sun ADE. You should be able to keep her going with live kids for 7 more days. Now will you be alive out there every 4 hours...maybe not :)

When was the last time you copper bolused her? She may not even be storing any of the calcium you are giving her everyday if she on alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay is in crisis like this. It' one thing to have some symptoms, picking eating, tremors, lower temp...but overt Hypocalcemia that now has her in ketosis....she has an embalance that is not allowing her to absorb her calcium.....iron, low copper, to high of protein (usually soy fed along with alfalfa hay). I don't believe there is true ketosis in goats, it's undiagnosed and untreated hypocalcemia that then gives you pregnancy toxemia with ketotic symptoms. Treat the hypocalcemia and they will not continue down the path. Only treat for ketosis, their blood pressure rises and the kids are not viable. Vicki

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If you must get the kids out ASAP, I have successfully induced does to freshen on day 144 with healthy babies. I always use 2cc of Lutalyse and 5cc of Dex. Expect delivery 29-36 hours later.

Since I never let my does freshen 'naturally', I have no idea what normal is for them. Therefore I use the 150 day method and prefer to have them freshen on days 146-147 or however the weekends fall.... sometimes earlier and sometimes later :)

Best of luck with her.

Sara

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well, I forgot to write it down on her health paper I know I did most if not all of the herd this last spring, so she's at least more than 6 months from her last bolusing. Longer if she got skipped.

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

What would be the reason for using Dex along with the Lute? I thought I was prepared this year. I just went and picked up the last of what I thought I would need from the vet. I didn't get the dex. Oh my. Last year I luted a doe and did not know anything about the Dex and it turned out fine. Should Dex be used each time I lute?
    Thanks,
    Anita

6. Anita, not a Dex user routinely. I believe it helps mature the lungs in the kids so its good to use DEx with the lute IF the kids will be more than few days early. I have used it but usually don't unless the doe will kid before 145 days.
    We had a kid born at 140 days this year that did fine.
    Becky

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would bolus her again

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Actually Becky, Dex is not only used for the reason you stated but it also makes the Lutalyse work more reliably.

I always use the Lutalyse and Dex combination. I have found the two used together work much better than Lutalyse used alone.

Sara

9. I'd take Sara's advice since she lutes more than me. I usuully lute about 50% of mine so 5-6 each year.
    I have gotten consistent results from lute but I know everyones goats can be a littel differnet.
    Becky

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I knew that about the Dex from what I read last year, I' apprehensive on whether or not I can get Dex,
    She's is Finally doing Much better hogging down her hay, eating her pellets. So Hopefully she won't worsen so the point I need to induce.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Dex used in conjunction with the Lute also helps the doe to get over kidding faster than just the lute. It's used to take inflammation out of the udder, helps to return the pelvic cartalidge to it's pre-birth position, takes inflammation out of the repro. tract, and matures the lungs of the kids.

Since I breed in groups and kid in groups...with each breed looking EXACTLY alike...I want NO mix up in dams of the kids, so I lute in groups and make SURE I'm there for the birth. No, I don't like kidding in the middle of the night and I absolutely refuse to stay up all night with a doe kidding. Besides, where are you going to find a vet in the middle of the night to come help with a GOAT!? You're not.

Any doe kidding at 147 days (besides Lamancha) or before, really needs the Dex for the benefit to the kid's lungs. It's just a given in herd management.

Keep an eye on this doe and as long she is still taking in energy, hold off on the induction as long as her health is not in jeopardy.
    Kaye

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

When using the dex and lute combination, can I pull up both in one syringe for just one shot?
    Anita

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No. It is never a good idea to mix any medications, vaccines or dewormers.

Needles and syringes are cheap and shots are easy to give.

Sara

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No. I don't even give the shots in the same back leg. Both shots go IM and I don't want them mixing.
    Kaye