lumpy goat ears

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Today I went and looked at some Boer goats and I noticed one of them had lumpy ears?
    Can CL lumps be on ears? The lady said she stuck a needle in one of the lumps but nothing came out.
    Thanks.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No they aren't CL, but no you don't want to bring this virus onto your property either. It builds....well have you ever seen kelp in real life? Those big bubbles with only fluid in them...they look just like that, and tear up the ears when you try to fix them. A friend of mine had them in her nubian herd. Vicki

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thanks Vicki
    I was thinking of bringing one home as a 4h proget for my daughter but I guess I'll scrap that idea, at least from that herd. How easy does this virus spread? Yes I have seen the kelp (bull kelp) I'm right in the ocean here. Do you know the name of the virus and I can look it up just to be in the know. Thanks.
    JoAnn

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No actually I was racking my brain about it the other day. I know I had a conversation about it with Kaye last month or so...maybe she will remember what it is. I do know forever it was blamed on stickers...but did turn out to be a virus if I remember correctly like varruca/warts. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

A virus in the genus Capripoxvirus of the family Poxviridae can cause something like this, in cattle it's called lumpy skin. It's more prevelant in the middle east and Africa. It's mainly around the head but has been seen all over the body and inside the mucous membranes. I personally have never seen it, nor treated it so I am of no help there.

If it was contained to just the ear...I have to wonder if it wasn't just a hematoma? With robust head shaking, blood vessels in the ear can burst and blood clots and serum form between the skin and ear cartlidge. Caught early you can draw a little fluid out..but after the clots have set up, no you can't get anything out of them. Treatment is generally a long slit made in the ear to remove the clots and either left to drain or the skin is sewn back to the cartlidge by going completely through the ear. OR just leave it alone.
    Kaye

6. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Boy I wasn't over there to long but I only noticed it on the ears and it was more than one lump it was more like a cluster of them of virus sizes. Oh well I'll look up the name you gave me and take a peek at what they have to say about it. Thanks
    JoAnn