Lumpy FF udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Mar 5, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

My 2 year old Saanen doe kidded this evening for the first time- triplets. One buckling who is already spoken for going without papers to a "homestead" type farm and two doelings, not bad! :biggrin * Ummm...can't believe I did this but that is 2 bucklings and 1 doeling. The second doeling straddled to pee this morning and I looked... :jawdrop :nooo :lol.... *

The does udder was growing nicely over the last few weeks, looked and felt even until yesterday with glands being palpable but no "weird" lumps. One side started looking really uneven and until she freshened this evening you could actually see lumps on that side both from the back and from the side above the teat. Looked really scary so I refused to look so I could concentrate on kidding. The more normal side of course was very full as well and the glands/ducts could easily be felt before I took any colostrum, but they weren't knobby. The lumps on the uneven side felt like knobs within the longish glands/ducts. She seemed to have more colostrum on the uneven side. Does my description make any sense?
    I've had this doe since July...was not vaccinated. She has no fever and the udder is not hot and not firm now that I took most of the colostrum. Is this normal for a FF or is something wrong?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

One of my does did this, it was as if her milk lines were swollen, her rear udder felt like a brain under the skin. I just kept milking her and she is perfect. She is due to kid soon and in feeling her udder no brain matter this year :)

Now.....scary are acidomides...actual lumps under the skin that are super contagious...lets just hope for swollen milk glands! Vicki

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Crossing my fingers- yes, brain matter is a good way to describe the way it felt. :yuck The lumps milked down when I took the colostrum so I think we are safe. Whew! I hope so.... I sort of felt like this is just because she's making lots of colostrum in an udder without developed capacity . I took almost 2 lbs and still left some. Oh man those tiny teats -about an inch long. I can just see her come into loads of milk and taking weeks to get a decent teat length. :laughcry

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Did you pull the babies and bottle feeding or leaving them on the dam?? the reason I ask is if you pulled them, then why didn't you milk her out?

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

She was acting a little droopy and I wanted to see her eat, drink more and take a temp before I milked her out. She doesn't eat as much alfalfa and with triplets I just wanted to be sure before I took all the colostrum. I had never heard about NOT milking out all the colostrum until I read it here in the last few days...
    So yes the babies were pulled at birth and the doe is fine and now being milked out completely.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH yep I do that too if they are down a bit :lol