Lumps appearing on teats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DairyLove, Nov 1, 2014.

1. DairyLove

DairyLove New Member

One of our lactating does has begun developing small lumps or bumps on her teats and udder, just in the past week or so. On some of them I see a whitish spot at the tip of the lump. They are roughly between the size of a pea and a blackberry. The last couple of days, another one (or two) seems to pop up each day (milking once a day). Not sure what may be causing this or just how concerned I need to be about it. Any thoughts?

2. ConnieM

ConnieM New Member

They sound like insect bites or accesses to me, but I am a newbie. I would wash well with a mild soap and rub some antibiotic ointment into it.

3. DairyLove

DairyLove New Member

Thanks for your thoughts, Connie. I had wondered about abscesses, hadn't thought about insect bites. And I do wash them gently every morning. I am still puzzled about why more keep popping up.

4. fmg

fmg New Member

Sounds like maybe staph to me. Try some chlorhexidine on them and be careful because it can cause mastitis if it gets in the tip of the teats.

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I agree on staph

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Sounds like Staph to me also. I would get her vaccinated with Lysigin and treat the bumps with Chlorhexidine. Never put anything oily or greasy on bumps like this, it needs a drying agent.

You can buy Lysigin at Jeffers, Valley Vet or other mail order places.
    Dose is: 5cc , booster in 14 days. It can be given every 5-6 months if you are having issues with Staph.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  7. DairyLove

DairyLove New Member

Thank you all very much for the help. So, staph is must be and we will work on getting it treated asap.

One further thought: does this affect the raw milk? We drink it and sell it to a few close friends. Thanks again.