low/no cost greenhouse heat

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by a4patch, Nov 10, 2013.

1. a4patch

a4patch New Member

Any ideas for low or no cost greenhouse heat?

I am thinking about bales of hay around the perimeter and some horse manure underneath them?

2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

Black plastic trash cans filled with water and put where to sun can warm them, can act like a heat sink. Also use a double layer of glazing, glass or plastic, with an airspace. And be real careful on sunny days, I have cooked more plants than I care to admit...

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

dig a trench down the middle, fill with manure throw plywood or planks over to walk on compost = heat.

4. a4patch

a4patch New Member

This was exactly what I was looking for. Will rabbit manure work or does it need to be horse or cow manure?

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I've been looking at rocket mass heaters. I've seen a few in action. Very cool! Make sure you look at rocket MASS heaters, not just rocket stoves when you search.

6. We've been using solar water heaters pumping (or thermo-syphoning) non toxic antifreeze through serpentine placed coils of PEX tubing about 8 to ten inches below the surface of each row in our high tunnel. Beginning in February (since there's not enough sunlight here prior to that anyway) the soil temperatures rise enough to get our early winter plantings growing again. The power source is a dedicated solar panel so it only circulates when the sun is shining and the panel has warmed up. We're usually harvesting and selling greens in February when the temps are still well below freezing outside of the otherwise unheated high tunnel. There is the initial expense of the solar water heater and the tubing, but operating expenses are zero.