Lotus had a doeling, she's weak - update lost kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Mar 20, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Lotus seemed to have a little bit of an udder this morning and was a bit more affectionate with me. She was at day 156 and I was wondering if she was really bred or just fat. I had to run into town for a few errands today and asked DH to keep an eye on her, He checked her at 4 and said she didn't seem to have any signs of impending kidding. He fed about 5:30 and didn't notice her in labor. I got home at 7 and there she was with a wet kid on the ground. She had a big single doeling just like last year. When I went over to the baby, at first I thought she was dead. She was totally limp. Then she made a tiny cry. Her mouth was cold. I got her in the house and warmed her up. I had to tube her. I know I tubed into her tummy, but worry she may have got a little in her lungs. She was rattly for a bit, but when I listened with the stethoscope, she didn't sound congested. She now is maaaing a bit. It beats my why this kid was weak in the first place. She's a big girl and Lotus is a good mother. Poor Lotus is crying for her kid. She passed her afterbirth and I milked her out. She only gave a little over a cup of colostrum. I sure hope this kid makes it. This makes 7 doelings out of 20 kids. Kathie

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Re: Lotus had a doeling, she's weak

Goatkid, if she was cold, it takes a long time for them to warm up, did you take her temp? is the inside of her mouth cold.?
    1/10 cc Bo-Se
    vitamins AD & E
    nutridrench
    pinch of baking soda
    You can try all these, I always give my weak kids all of the above listed.. especially the bo-se and vitamin E... and I tube them with some very very warm colostrum
    If you pull the tube out too fast some of the milk in the tube can get in their lungs, or she could have swallowed birth fluids..
    I would take her out to bond with her mother, if you don't want to bottle feed, then back in the house to stay warm, taking her out three or four times a day to see her dam..
    Barbara
    Hope she makes it for you, let us know

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I don't think she ever did get as warm as she should have. I had her in a plastic bag in warm water for quite a while and then had her on a hot water bottle with a rice bag. along her side. The colostrum I tubed her with was warm. She cried and I got up to be with her and put her back. I thought she was getting stronger, that the colostrum would get her going. I should have taken her to bed with me. I feel so sad. This is the first kid I've lost this young in several years. :sniffle Kathie

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Got a question here. When I picked up the kid from the birthing place, she was alive, but totally limp. She was bleeding fron her umbilical cord. I tied it off, but do you think she may have lost too much blood before I found her? She did gain some strength after I worked with her, but really never could sit up on her own. She'd get these little bursts of strength and then be limp again. Kathie

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

not sure....sorry you lost her... :sniffle

6. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm sorry Kathie. :down :down

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

SO sorry you lost her.

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm sorry you lost her Kathie.. There could be a whole slew of things that were going on, and maybe a few that weren't fixable.. take heart in knowing you did what you could. God doesn't always give 'em to us forever..