Lotion Bar Questions(several)

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Narrow Chance, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I have been making the lotion bars and they are moving real nicely. What do you use for a mold?
    What do you put yours is to sell? Where do you get what you put them in?
    How much do you sell them for?? Is it about the same as soap?? ($1/oz) What is a good size? (oz)

Yeah I know.. so many questions. I so enjoy this forum cause it is like chatting with a friend.. and soooo imformative.

Thanks in advance!!

Rett

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I use milky way molds for mine and then I put them in those flat round tins. I cut a circle out of wax paper and put it in the bottom of the tin. Then I saran wrap nicely the bar itself to keep it neat until it sells. I sell mine for $4.00 and they weigh under 2 ounces. I think 1.75 or so.

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

What size tin do you use? I have looked at tins and can't decide between 2 oz. and 4 oz. i have beeswax on the way so I am needing to try and find tins for the job.

Thanks
    Autumn

4. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks Sara. I have been making mine around 1 3/4 ounce each. Pouring in little tupperware bowls.. which is the right size for 4 oz deep tins. I sell without the tin, just the lotion bar for $3. Those darn tins are so expensive.. I'll have to sell them for at least $4 or $4.50 for them both. I've had repeat customers, so I just sell the lotion bar in a small baggie.
    I need a cheaper source for my tins.. don't fall out.. but I paid $2.00 for the first ones I got. Thank goodness I did't buy more. I got them local.. hence the price.

The cheapest I can find the 4 ounce ones are $.75 cents... unless anyone else has a source that Google doesn't.

Rett

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I bought mine at WSP. They are not the 'deep' ones but the flat I think. They are roughly 2.5" round. I cannot remember the price without digging it up but I *think* my cost including the bar ingredients is .65 each. You can also sell refills for less that way customers know they are paying extra for those fancy tins.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Just bought 50 2 oz flat tins from Specialty bottle for 46 bucks including shipping.

Bethany

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks .. will check those two out.. soon as Autumn tells me who WSP is :biggrin

Rett

8. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I pour mine into .5 oz. tubes and sell them for $1.50. I don't remember how much I paid for the tubes though. Bayousome.com, I think, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. They were fairly inexpensive or I wouldn't have bought them. I am frugal. Shannon

9. Kalne

Kalne New Member

10. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Got it.. thanks!!

I thought of doing the tubes.. guess I may have to give that a try. Would be oh so sweet not to have to handle the bar so much. The less steps it is for me.. the better.. and cuts down on my time and in the long run.. the cost to the customer.

Rett

11. This seems waaaay too cheap to me. I have a hand balm (similar ingredienst I'd think) in a .75 oz twist up tube for 7.50.
    Becky

12. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, these prices seem inexpensive. I'm planning on selling mine in mold bars, it a tin, for $9.00 and they are 1.4 oz. I sold the .5 oz tubes for $4.00, but people didn't dig the tubes too well, which I though the opposite would be true. I've seen 1.75 oz bars for $11.00 so I'm thinking I am right on in my pricing.

Bethany

13. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I guess it is actually $2.00. I forgot my own price. So you think that is too cheap? I just thought 1/2 an oz. is not much and they are pretty darn easy to make. While the indredients are somewhat expensive I can whip out a bunch of them in no time at all. Maybe I should try and raise the price to $3.00 when market starts back up. Shannon

14. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

They are very easy to make. But .5 oz lasts A LONG time. That's what people are paying the higher price for. Head down to pike street market and you will see that they go for far more...but that's Seattle, and we are in our little towns. I think too if they are in tins as opposed to tubes they have a more upscale look and can get a better price.

Bethany

15. dblvon

dblvon New Member

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but what is a lotion bar?

16. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Lotion in bar form. No water means no preservative needed. Your body heat softens the bar (just like a balm only no tube) enough to get some on your skin. Then you just smooth it on. I really like mine.

17. redskygal

redskygal New Member

This is also probably a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. If the lotion bar isn't in a tube how do you apply it? If it is in a "tin" does it get underneath your fingernails when you dig it out?

Kelly

18. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

It's molded into a shape and placed in a tin. Mine are honey combed with a bee on it. You take them out and rub..
    Bethany

19. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Kelly, I didn't understand them either.. till I make one and used it.
    It's actually lotion.. without the water(and all the other 'stuff'). just the oils (or EO/FO)
    When it hardens.. or goes back to a solid, you place the bar in your hands and the warmth from your hands or body sort of melts it slightly. you can rub it in the palm of your hands, then apply what is on your hands to elbows, heels, anywhere you want it to go. You can put the bar straight on the spot you wish it to go, message the bar a bit, and your body sort of melts it.
    If you never tried one.. it's awesome for dry skin and hands.
    My hubby absolutely loves them.
    I am now mixing and pouring into a 'temperary' mold to remelt later, when i need to add a particular fragrance.
    Course.. in my opinion.. the unscented bars are the best.

Rett

20. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Oh I can't wait to start making lotion bars, I am waiting on my beeswax now, when it gets here, oops now i have to find something to mold them in, dang...always something...

Autumn