Lost the best, how to keep the other

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Apr 14, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Lost my heaviest milker (14 lbs at 5 weeks fresh) and herd queen yesterday to entero. She was fine the night before and almost dead first thing the next morning, head down and back and temp 97*. No bloat but alot of drooling. I will never forget what entero looks and sounds like. Who knows what set it off- the heavy new growth on the pasture, leaves down from the storm (with tornado damage in sight of our house!!!) that could have blown in on the wind........ I tried to save her, was on the right track, but will do better next time (thanks Kaye). Losing 12 gallons a week shut down all the extra cash that was paying for feed and most of my cheesemaking as well. :sigh :down

now I have left the Saanen who is out of production for the rest of the year- if she stays, and the other Alpine/togg milking 11lbs right now. She is terribly depressed with the loss. Worried I'm going to lose her milk as well as last night's milking was a lb short. I got proactive and dosed her with dewormer, BoSe, probiotic paste, and a B complex. She has a history of going down under stress. Anything else to do? Stuck around until she got her fill of alfalfa pellets and took out some warm water...she of course gets her grain on the stand. She was back up to her normal amount of milk this morning so that is good.

PS. If you don't see me here much it's because our computer is down. I'll check in when I can and will be back in a few days -hopefully.

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So sorry for your loss.

Autumn

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make sure they have hay /alfalfa pellets prior to going out on wet grass

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Here is me sticking my little head in to say, "Hey thanks for the tip Sondra. Mine were going to go out on fresh grass, maybe wet, in a day or two."

-Kim

5. Sorry you lost her. :(

Thanks for the tip Sondra. :)

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

and Minerals too!! : )

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Just coming on to say the other doe seems to be doing fine, adjusting.
    I almost wish that there had been something like no hay or alfalfa, too much grain because then I would KNOW what happened.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Sorry for your loss. I know what you mean. A few years ago, I had a doe who had just recently kidded who had diarreah. but otherwise seemed healthy and was eating and milking just fine. I treated her with probios, Biosol and wormed her and she was acting normal when I left for work. Hubby fed in the early evening and did not notice anything amiss. I came home from work and went to milk the goats. She was laying near the feeder dead. She looked bloated. No feed change and she did not go out to pasture that time of year. I imagine it was either bloat or entero. Sometimes we just don't know what caused it. Kathie

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

At this time of year with all the lush green grass , I add some baking soda to the goats water , the feed store carries cattle minerals that contain Sodium Chloride and there is feed pellets that have sodium chloride in the pellets .... and always keep out dry hay

diarrhea almost always means worms, maby your wormer wasn't working for the worm type that your doe had.

Sorry for your loss .

10. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

No diarrhea even... she died to quickly for me to even get her cleaning out...
    Do you also keep baking soda out free choice?

11. Truly

Truly New Member

Yes, baking soda should be out free choice.