Lost another doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We are in shock, here. The girls were milking and one of the milkers ran out of the main pen, the girl who milked them said that she was acting really feisty and fought her to push by and get up on the stand. They said that she jumped up, tried to reach over and steal the grain next to her, was scolded, had the stanchion closed as she started eating and she immediately went down. They ripped open the neck pc and lifted her up and she was on her feet for a few seconds then shook all over and went down like a flash. We tried epi (just in case of an odd allergic reaction), as well as our best at a goat heimlich maneuver as it really seemed to fit with some kind of choking. We held her with her neck/head down, did finger sweeps, even closed off her mouth and did CPR via her nose...chest massage, nothing. She went from feisty and full of zip to dead within, well basically, seconds.

Of course most of the children just stood around in shock while Katie and my husband and the older few children worked like fiends trying everything that we could think of to get this goat back to life.

I just dont get it. We have gone almost 4 years without a single doe lost to death. Then 2 in less than 24 hours.

I have to tell you I am really freaked out, afraid to leave the barn, afraid to go to sleep. What is going on here?! I mean I really believe that God is in control, but I am really shocked and stunned and anxious.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh LeeAnne how terrible this is just so sad and nothing I can do or say will help I know. But please know that I am so sorry and wish I was there to give you a hug. Was this doe at the show also???

3. Qvrfullmidwife

No, this doe was not at the show. (that show is SO $$$$$$$$$ that we only brought our very best) tho she is...was...a doe that we were looking forward to seeing in the ring later this year.

I am just in shock. Tell you the truth, usually pride, wanting to seem like I have it all together would keeep me from posting something like this, but I am tooo freaked out to even think that way. I feel like we are being stalked!

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm so sorry you lost another doe. I know the feeling of being afraid for the other goats when you lose one, so two must be doubly hard. I've never seen a goat die that way, so I don't have a clue what it was. Kathie

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dang Girl!!! I am so sorry. Can someone cut her throat open to see if she was indeed chocking, perhaps even before she jumped up on the stand, that certainly would explain the mania. Vicki

6. Qvrfullmidwife

We might do that, Vicki...I hadnt thought about the fact that she could have been choking before she even got out into the milking area (they had just fed alfalfa pellets and hay I believe). It just happened so FAST. If she WAS choking beforehand it would explain how very fast she went down, because really, I would expect a LITTLE more time of struggle, but she just went down BAM and was pretty much gone. (Though I did keep thinking (and said) "you know, a GE scenario would be really really nice!")

Grace here says that she might do that, check to see. I do know that we fished a lot of grain out of her mouth and throught, but I THINK when I breathed into her nose (stupidstupidstupid to risk disease, being pregnant and all) that we got good chest rise, so that would seem to say NOT choking, but I mean it was FAST. Aneurism fast.

7. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

A local breeder here had a goat drop dead on the milk stand, with no warning. She thinks it was a heart attack. Who knows but what she described is very similar sounding. So I guess is does happen. I'm so sorry, what a shock!

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

LA...I so sorry about this bad run of events that you folks are having. ....but to be honest, I was wondering if the other doe had gotten into something there that is very toxic. Now I am even more concern. I'm not sure whether you gonna get a toxicology report back on the first one....but now that you have had 2 to basically drop dead , I am getting awful suspicious about something that may be in their feed/hay.
    One going down....maybe I could write off to a freak thing...but 2 , no way.
    Hope you can get some answers about this, and maybe the sooner the better.

I am wondering if both of these doe's have any treatment in common, like recent vaccines, wormers, copper bolus, anything that might tie them this close together other than feed ?

Again So Sorry, Whim

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

LeeAnne, maybe youre done now for another four years or more. I hope so. It sounds to me like choking on the pellets, or a heartattack

10. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

LeeAnne, so sorry for you.. and unexpected like that... Hugs to you and your family
    Barbara

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I had a BIG Alpine doe one time that would shake and pass out if you closed the neck stanchion closed on her on the milk stand. It cut off the blood flow to the brain. I knew it was a little snug, but I never dreamed it was tight enough on her neck to cause that. Evidently it didn't take much pressure. So sorry for your loss. Hope you can find what could be causing it. I would be paranoid too.

12. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Sorry for the loss of your doe...it almost sounds like maybe a blood clot or maybe she got hit really hard and it did something...sometimes we never find the answers...sorry again...I lost 2 this year also..

13. eliya

eliya New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your doe. It seems like we all have our bad years where everything goes wrong and our good years where things seem to go mostly right. I hope things will start looking up for you soon.

14. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I know, Whim, we are really paranoid around here right now.

But in truth,the deaths were very different. The one looked like classic hypocalcemia, until she crashed and burned with such odd lab values on the third day. (The vet said that inside...she looked really pretty healthy. Just dead. :( ) This other went from fine to dead within seconds...dd Katie even said that she thought that she was dead before she hit the ground. It wasnt like she was down and struggling, when she was down--she was out.

Similarities...same feed. Both fresh within the last 3 weeks, both gave twins. Both wormed with cydectin then with valbazen. Both same shots/bo-se.

Differences...one 5 year old lamancha, one 2 yr old nubian. One had lived here since 2004, the other since early 2007. The one who went first had been copper bolused last fall, the other had not.

15. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

All I can say is that we are thinking about you guys. So very sorry. I hope this is the end of your bad luck.

16. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

LeeAnne
    I'm so sorry. How aweful. Losing one is bad enough, but to lose 2 & with no obvious signs of problems- accckkk! Hope you find out the cause.

BTW- It was so nice to meet you at Houston

17. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

So sorry about your misfortunes. I know how frustrating it is to spend the money to have a necropsy done, and when the results come back, you still don't know!!! Choking is the one thing that I hate about feeding pellets, but thankfully it's not often. Anyway, trust that things will line out at your place.

18. I'm so sorry. I really hope things get better for you :(
    Becky

19. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds strange to me. Almost like a heart attack.
    K

20. Qvrfullmidwife

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it was something like a heart attack or aneurism, not choking because it was SO fast. When someone (or animal, I assume) chokes you have at least a few minutes, time while blood O2 levels are dropping, when you struggle, etc before the heart stops and I swear this doe was dead in less than a minute, Katie who was there said she honestly thinks that she was dead when she hit the ground, it was that fast.