Lop sided udder on an alpine doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

I was looking at some Alpine goats today. One of them is a 2 year old alpine who had a buck kid last year, dam raised, and now has an uneven udder. It was her first freshening. Will it always be uneven now? I am assuming it happened because the kid preferred one side and she didn't get milked out on the other. Could there be a genetic flaw of some sort? Otherwise she is beautiful and has been shown and placed very well. I won't be showing her.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Not to sure about the alpine udder but my little nigi that had 1 kid did the same and when she kidded this time both sides filled out just fine and maybe she will be fine too. Maybe less milk on that side after a freshening but it should even out.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Hhhmmm...it could be one of three things. One cureable, two not. Genetics can play a role in lopsided udders, but Staph mastitis is the major cause of lopsided. The kid nursing can also figure in.
    If you just can't live without this doe.....and she is dry,(no way to get a milk sample for test) then I would dry treat her and hope for the best when she freshens.
    Just my thoughts,
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If this is for a family milker than yes like Kaye, dry cow infuse her (and we will help you :) test her for CAE and get her. But if you are even thinking about showing...forget it, unless this is only a bloodline purchase. You will forever have one more mature half, one more mature teat, and be one of those evening up their udder halves and using it as an excuse when showing why your halves are uneven. As much work as lambaring kids and milking does are, it's the same amount of work letting kids nurse, trying to keep them tame, and trying to keep udders even :) Vicki

5. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

Thanks, this is for a family milker, she is dry currently. I was told by several goat people in the area that this girl had good stock. I wouldn't be showing her but my dc may get into showing her kids through 4H in a year or two. I am also getting a doeling from this person so there will be two for company.

6. Corky

Corky New Member

Definitely dry treat her.

I have one like that and hers is from Staph mastitis.
    She came here with it. I am praying she freshens with out the mastitis next year but she will always have the blown teat even if her udder evens out.

She is registered and I am hoping to get another Daughter from her this next time.

She will be for sale as soon as her kids are weened or sold.
    I have a FF doeling from her but would rather keep a second freshening doeling.