Loose stool after Cydectin

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Hi everyone,

I am just hoping that someone may settle my mind. I have a FF that freshened with twin doelings the day before yesterday. She kidded at 1:30AM, and I gave her Cydectin at 1ml per 22lbs. a few hours later. Yesterday we had a family emergency and I spent the entire day at the Lehigh Valley Hospital with my father in the transitional open heart unit (TOHU). I noticed today that she has a mucky stool. It is a little lighter in color than normal - more of a dark tan, consistency is like thick soft served ice cream :ick . I will also mention that I may have given her a little more than the 5ml's since I used the drench gun for the first time - what a mistake! It got it in the goat better, but it also got all over me, all over her, the floor, the pen, the walls, my dog...my eye even. I had a hard time getting the air out of it, and was trying to pump it back into the bottle...either way, a mess. I am definitely sticking to my large mechanical syringe for next time, I just wish it had a screw on end like the drench gun does! At least i can honestly say that I am probably parasite free ;)

Anyway, is this something that I should be concerned about, or is it nothing? Everything else is fine with her and the kids. Good appetites, bright in eye and active. I remember most of my does having a slight clumpy stool (bumpy dog turds) after freshening, but this is bit softer, and color is lighter.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kelly :)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just give her some probios

3. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Sondra,

I don't have any probios right now - can I substitute some plain yogurt untill tomorrow? I went to TSC yesterday to get it, but they were out (not my regular TSC). I am going tomorrow to my regular TSC, and I will get some then.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's certainly not normal. Did you up her grain fast because she freshened? Have you milked her and her milk is normal? What is her temp? Is she getting plenty of hay?

Have any banamine. Your best bet is of course to fecal. Also if it is feed, or something like that it should last a few hours and be gone. A new milker with diarrhea is dangerous in your cold weather. Find a lab that you can send poop into for fecals, one that does chambered slides and that can tell you how many eggs per gram but also identify the problems. And since the only time I have had diarrhea in a young milker it was cocci, you might want to use a sulfa on her. Vicki

5. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Vicki,

Milk is normal, temp is 101.8 as of this morning. Free choice grass hay and alfalfa pellets. She is getting about 1 lb grain, that I normally up by the handful until they are to their milking ration which varies per doe on how much they are putting in the bucket, and body condition. I got the Yogurt for now - going to TCS today for the Probios.

The poops appear to have firmed up some, they are back to the very lumpy dog turds that break apart when they hit the ground. I took a sample today that I am going to take to the clinic in Quakertown - they do egg counts, and check for coccidia. I have banamine, but don't like to use it unless I have a good reason to.

As a further note, she is in the basement with her kids, and will be for a month until the next doe is due to freshen. It is 45* in there - cold, but not as cold as it is in the barn. The basement is unfinished, dirt floor. Kidding pen is 8x8, heavy duty tarp on the floor with sweet PDZ on the bottom, topped with 80lbs of pelleted bedding, topped with 8" straw. Morning after deworming the pen was stripped and refreshed, feet cleaned and trimmed, doe cleaned and brushed. The goat shed has no electric, and no lights or running water, so I like to do all of my kidding stuff closer to home. It also is easier for me to train them to the stand when they are in the basement.

I personally feel that this might be 'treat' induced, or the Cydectin. She always got treats, as all of ours do, but she may have gotten a few more than I originally thought. I use the horse treats that are alfalfa based with peppermint oil. This is the first time that I used the drench gun to dose with Cydectin, and I didn't realize that every time you pump the handle, it doses. I also had some air stuck in it, so I may have given a little too much. I squeezed the handle two or three times trying to get the air out, and then realized that I was also pumping more drug in each squeeze. Would a double dose of Cydectin cause a loose stool?

Thanks for your ideas Vicki. I appreciate your time, and you too Sondra!