Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for elevators or other such places to get my grains in bulk. I am in Elgin, Texas about 30 miles East of Austin. The closest elevator I can find is in Granger. I will go to Granger if I can save money there but it seems like there should be more than just the handful in the yellow pages. I'm looking for oats, some corn and alfalfa pellets.

Tiffany

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ask at feed stores

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tiffany & others, if you go to bulk grain can I ask how do you store it transport your bulks? I have lots of bins, and a flatbed but how do you handle the offloading and moving? Just wondering and looking for ideas as I could get much more and better pricing if I could figure that part out.

Shawna

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
It is tough Shawna I would go down to Burleson and get alfalfa but I can only hold 3 barrels in my small truck and then off loading is a real bummer unless you have a fork lift .

G

·
We used to have people come in at the feedstore where I worked and we would load the back of the pickup with grain out of the elevator. When they got it home they would use a scoop shovel to unload the truck and put it in a grain bin. I have a place in my upper barn where a bulk truck can stick an auger through a window and drop feed on the concrete floor. I used plywood to make walls and made a grain storage room. Only thing bad about this is that they usually want you to buy a ton at a time if they bring it to you. I was feeding out replacement Holstein heifers for a dairy so I was using it pretty fast. If you don't feed it out very quickly you have to careful about mold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts