Looking for bulk grains

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Sep 22, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I am looking for elevators or other such places to get my grains in bulk. I am in Elgin, Texas about 30 miles East of Austin. The closest elevator I can find is in Granger. I will go to Granger if I can save money there but it seems like there should be more than just the handful in the yellow pages. I'm looking for oats, some corn and alfalfa pellets.

Tiffany

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

have you done a search using superpages.com and a mile radius from you?

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

Tiffany & others, if you go to bulk grain can I ask how do you store it transport your bulks? I have lots of bins, and a flatbed but how do you handle the offloading and moving? Just wondering and looking for ideas as I could get much more and better pricing if I could figure that part out.

Shawna

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It is tough Shawna I would go down to Burleson and get alfalfa but I can only hold 3 barrels in my small truck and then off loading is a real bummer unless you have a fork lift .

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I haven't gotten that far yet. Not sure yet.

Tiff

6. coso

coso Guest

We used to have people come in at the feedstore where I worked and we would load the back of the pickup with grain out of the elevator. When they got it home they would use a scoop shovel to unload the truck and put it in a grain bin. I have a place in my upper barn where a bulk truck can stick an auger through a window and drop feed on the concrete floor. I used plywood to make walls and made a grain storage room. Only thing bad about this is that they usually want you to buy a ton at a time if they bring it to you. I was feeding out replacement Holstein heifers for a dairy so I was using it pretty fast. If you don't feed it out very quickly you have to careful about mold.