Looked at the Nubian, have bite question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I went and looked at the Nubian doe that is for sale, and she is a pretty nice doe. She has good general character, long straight front legs, and a nice Nubian face. Her ears are a little short, but they are definitely pendulous, her color is a nice red bay with a dark cream belly - black markings below her knees, frosted ears and nose. Small white patch on her poll. Her hind legs are nicely angled from the side, but her hocks come in SLIGHTLY, however with an udder between those legs, I think she may end up even more correct. She has very nice feet that her owner admitted never trimming, wear was very even and although they could use a little touching up, they looked recently trimmed.

I checked her mouth because she does have a rather short face in my opinion, and she appears to have a slight under bite. The tips of her bottom teeth surpass the outer edge of her upper dental pad by mere fractions of an inch. I don't think the under bite is severe personally, but how severe of a fault is this in general in Nubians, and can it be easily bred away from?

I decided that I want to buy her, but need to wait until after December 1, as I want to pull blood on her for bio-tracking and CAE, plus get an additional opinion on her bite. We did not exchange any monies so far, but I did make the offer of a deposit or more. We are also getting a HUGE LaBoer wether that is being dropped off at the other goat guy's place and he said he would butcher him for $25. He is probably 175-200 lbs. I am going to split it with a friend, as that is a lot of meat for someone who has never even tried it ;)

Also, could anyone make recommendations to Nubian breeders that are within my general area? My zip is 18353, I am in north eastern PA. I consider local a 3 hour drive these days ;) I would be looking for buck services or buck sales for next fall, as she is begin bred to a Boer this year. The Boer is HUGE also! Probably a 225-250 lb buck. GORGEOUS tricolored paint buck. Really nice conformation on him too, and I also found out he is half Nubian as well, but he has the definite Boer influence and muscle mass!

Kelly :)

P.S.
    Whiskey is going great! She had her front feet on the top of the dog kennel that she is in last night, so definitely bearing more weight on her hind end!

2. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Are you near York? If yes, PM me.

Paula

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Are you wanting this doe for a show animal or for milk? According to the ADGA guidebook, an undershot jaw is a slight to serious fault. In the doe you're looking at, it sounds like more of a slight defect. If it doesn't interfere with her ability to eat and you're using her to breed Boer and for milk, she would be worth paying a commercial milker price for. If you would decide to breed her Nubian, choose a buck with a correct bite. I wouldn't buy a buck with this issue, to be on the safe side, but I've seen does with a slight over or under bite who have had kids without the problem. Kathie

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Like Kathie said, make sure that it does not interfer with her ability to eat. If it does then she won't be able to eat enough to milk well. It will also mean that she can't eat enough to look well and will be on the skinny size. I believe that it is genetic so her kids would have the possiblity to have this trait also.
    Theresa

5. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

The doe is in very good body condition (a little 'fatter' than our Toggs), no bones can be seen, and only with prodding could I feel her ribs. I didn't think the bite would be a problem with eating, as it did not look terribly off, I was concerned about the severity of the trait. With our show rabbits, there is NO TOLERANCE at all. Either the bite is correct, or it is a DQ.

She herself will be used for house milk, her Boer crossed kids for meat, and if she last the year out, then I might rent a Nubian buck for her next fall.

Thanks for the comments!

Kelly :)