Long Over-Due Introduction

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hsmomof4, Dec 23, 2008.

1. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

After seeing a number of introductions on the board, I guess I should have done that first, when I signed up a bit ago. Never late than never, I suppose, and a few folks said hello when I first posted.

I'm Stacey. I live in NE Kansas (closest city is Lawrence) on 40 acres with my husband and 4 kids, whom I homeschool. We just moved out here to the country in September. Hubbie is in the Army and we've moved around a LOT but we plan to stay here. He's close enough to retirement that we should be able to make that work out ok.

A friend has dairy goats and I thought that would be a good idea, and after looking around for milkers (and being unsuccessful), I put a reservation in on 2 nubian doelings (kiddings scheduled in Jan/Feb) from a local breeder and figured it would be a while before I was actually milking. Then some friends from church had two bred Kinder does (it will be their second freshening) that they were selling (that they had gotten from that same breeder as kids), so I got them, too. Now I am just waiting on kidding, and the girls seem to get bigger every day.

Anyhow, I just wanted to officially say hello to everybody and thank everyone for everything that I've learned so far on these boards! :thankyou

2. Welcome to Dairy Goat Info. :) I have Nubians & Pygmys. :)

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Welcome Stacy your not too far from Christy either she is the moderator of our cheese forum here and also an avid goat breeder. You should try to get together with her am sure she would be a great help for you.

4. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Sondra,
    I have "met" Christy telephonically and she is the person that I am getting my babies from. She's the reason that I got on the board in the first place.

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Welcome to the forum! And Merry Christmas! Camille (HS Mom of Eight)

BTW, when you put an 8 with a ) next to it, it turns into 8).

6. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Welcome! We have Nubian, Alpine, and Boer goats. :)

7. shawhee

shawhee Member

Stacey,

:welcome Hello and welcome

8. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Hi Stacey,
    I'm a newbie too, but welcome! We have nubians and alpines. I'm also a hs Mom of 6.

Blessings,
    Christina

9. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

There seems to be a lot of that homeschooling thing going around! ;)

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Welcome Stacey! We have Mini Nubians, Nubians, Boers, Toggs & and few others.

Suriyah (HS sister of 10 siblings)

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hello and welcome to the board Stacey. Yes, as a matter of fact we are deciding in the next couple of weeks whether or not our 7 year old son will be home schooled also.

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Wecome Stacey! I used to homeschool, but as a single mom, working full time, with a goat addiction & a 14 yr old who refused to work, I had to send him back to public school. You'll enjoy your goats....just be careful, they are addictive :)

13. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Welcome Stacey I don't know what it is with Homeschooling and goats, we all must be a bunch of crazies (father of 6 and husband of a homeschooling mom). Welcome to the forum, it is the best one around. The mods Sondra, Vicki, Sara, Kaye, Barbara and others are the best around!

Welcome and Merry Christmas!

14. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Pam,
    I am already learning about that whole goat addiction thing. My husband said, "Don't get attached, they are farm animals," to which I responded, about two days after we got them, "Too late!" And that ND baby you have in your pic is about the cutest thing ever. I may have to get some. ;)

15. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Glad to have you with us. Lots of great information and great people here. :biggrin

16. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

There is nothing cuter then an ND baby! Well maybe a LM baby :)......of course this is why I now have 34 goats instead of the 3 we intended to have!

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome. I raise Nubians and Recorded Grades (mostly La Mancha X). I don't homeschool because all of my kids are of the caprine variety, but I imagine a year of breeding and kidding could count for biology class. :D I think all breeds of baby goats are just adorable. Kathie

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Welcome! You have come to a good place! We moved out to the country 4 1/2 years ago and got 3 goats in the first 3 months. Now we have about 60 and are a licensed milk dairy and plant, selling pasteurized milk, yogurt and kefir. Oh yeah, we HS also...we have 11 though I guess not all are HS at this point, LOL.