Long Lactations-Genetics or breeds?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Nov 26, 2007.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

don't have the discipline

Here Corky, I will steal this from Roseanne...this is what I meant. Those with stars on their does, with top tens, not only have wonderful does but they have discipline themselves, I do not have discipline, I am ultra organized but I am a procrastinator. Better :) Vicki

2. SandyReuel

SandyReuel New Member

Management, and Genetics will determine how well and how long your does will milk. When I worked for a Grade A goat Dairy for a year we were on DHIA test and after examining the milk records of the herd over a 3-4 year period we found that the "Duke" daughters had consistently longer more level lactations. It was most improtant to us that the does produce at least 4 pounds ( This was a 100% Nubian Herd). Animals that milked high weights early in the lactation and dropped off to 2 pounds or less in the last months of lactation were far less valuable than those who may have milked a bit less total milk but who were producing 4 pounds at 305 days...

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Animals that milked high weights early in the lactation and dropped off to 2 pounds or less in the last months of lactation were far less valuable than those who may have milked a bit less total milk but who were producing 4 pounds at 305 days...
    [/quote]

Just curious Sandy...Were the does more valuable because they gave more milk total (that nice long level lactation) or because
    the milk itself was more valuable at the end of their lactation (demand for the milk is still there, but smaller supply during those
    winter months) ? I know most small breeders can't meet demand in the winter, while having an excess for pigs and calves and such
    in the summer (but # for # the "strained" milk is worht more $) and was wondering if this was the same for
    the dairies?

Camille

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

4lbs ... well that makes me chuckle .But then again I have Saanens and 1 lonely Alpine {who my Saanens beat up } and they are averaging3/4 of a gallon at the end of there lactations.

Patty

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Patty put your does in a herd of 100, no way can you get a rolling herd average like that. Vicki

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am lucky I can keep track of the 6 I am milking :blush 100 noway :help2 . I give anyone credit who can .

Patty

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Cant speak genarlly but we milked a FF lamancha through and at the end of 2 yrs were getting a consistent 5lbs minimum a day, which was enough for our needs. Not the biggest amts but for a FF at 2 yrs our we were content.