Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a piece of liver from the doe that died and stuck it in the freezer. Sorry, I just didn't find the info on here who can do the copper tests, etc. Could someone link me to it if it is here or supply the info?
Who do I contact?
Where?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:biggrin Well....tell her how! I've always gone to vet's and gotten the specimen jars with forumlin...oh, you know...the expensive way to do it! :really

I'll be reading this one with interest...it cost me $5, just for the jars!! :really and I've got formaldahyde(sp)!
Kaye

G

·
I do the same Kaye.

The last livers that I sent off I just dropped off at my vet office and had them send it in. Shoot, why not? They only charge me the shipping and they do all the work! :lol

I have used the University of Minnesota lab as well as Michigan. Both are excellent.

Sara

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I also drop it off at my vets who sends it in for me, it's cheaper for her to do it with shipping because she takes them in to Texas A&M. I have had them sent to UC Davis and also Langston. I took the whole livers in for awhile, until she told me to just send in a slice :) Costs me about $10 for her and $25 for the actual test. I know UC Davis it had to come from my vet, but I believe it was langston or Colorado that will take owner specimins. Vicki

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
Yes. I simply freeze a slice in a zip lock, then where I have time I take it in. When I have sent it in myself, I simply went to my vet and got a styrofoam chest from her and bought dry ice from her also to ship with. I would make sure and call the lab first and make sure, like we do with blood testing, the procedure for putting the sample in a container with anything. I have never heard of the formaldahyde thing, and I would think I would have...and in the same breath, my vet may put the sample into something like this and I simply don't know. I haven't ran one of my own since 90, the rest my vet has done. Or I should say A vet has done since I use another vet sometimes for stuff like this so I don't have to have it sent to A&M. Vicki

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
??When a necropsy was done at the offices...I put all sorts of tissue and organ samples in a specimen jar that had formalin in it. It was generally formaldehyde. On occasion I would be sent to the State Lab with fresh samples...but most were mailed. Now with stricter shipping, I'm not sure what is in there. It smells like formaldehyde.??
Kaye

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
Geeze Kaye, you know more than I do....and shoot I bootleg samples in flat rate boxes :) Vicki

1 - 10 of 10 Posts