liver samples

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Apr 17, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I took a piece of liver from the doe that died and stuck it in the freezer. Sorry, I just didn't find the info on here who can do the copper tests, etc. Could someone link me to it if it is here or supply the info?
    Who do I contact?
    Where?
    Thanks

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Michigan State University has an excellent veterinary lab. I send most of my liver samples to them.

Sara

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Well....tell her how! I've always gone to vet's and gotten the specimen jars with forumlin...oh, you know...the expensive way to do it! :really

I'll be reading this one with interest...it cost me $5, just for the jars!! :really and I've got formaldahyde(sp)!
    Kaye

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I do the same Kaye.

The last livers that I sent off I just dropped off at my vet office and had them send it in. Shoot, why not? They only charge me the shipping and they do all the work! :lol

I have used the University of Minnesota lab as well as Michigan. Both are excellent.

Sara

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also drop it off at my vets who sends it in for me, it's cheaper for her to do it with shipping because she takes them in to Texas A&M. I have had them sent to UC Davis and also Langston. I took the whole livers in for awhile, until she told me to just send in a slice :) Costs me about $10 for her and $25 for the actual test. I know UC Davis it had to come from my vet, but I believe it was langston or Colorado that will take owner specimins. Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

So do you take the frozen slice into the vet??

7. NubianSoaps.com

Yes. I simply freeze a slice in a zip lock, then where I have time I take it in. When I have sent it in myself, I simply went to my vet and got a styrofoam chest from her and bought dry ice from her also to ship with. I would make sure and call the lab first and make sure, like we do with blood testing, the procedure for putting the sample in a container with anything. I have never heard of the formaldahyde thing, and I would think I would have...and in the same breath, my vet may put the sample into something like this and I simply don't know. I haven't ran one of my own since 90, the rest my vet has done. Or I should say A vet has done since I use another vet sometimes for stuff like this so I don't have to have it sent to A&M. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

??When a necropsy was done at the offices...I put all sorts of tissue and organ samples in a specimen jar that had formalin in it. It was generally formaldehyde. On occasion I would be sent to the State Lab with fresh samples...but most were mailed. Now with stricter shipping, I'm not sure what is in there. It smells like formaldehyde.??
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

Geeze Kaye, you know more than I do....and shoot I bootleg samples in flat rate boxes :) Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol :lol WELL....you KNOW I don't want to break any laws or anything.? :sigh
    Kaye