Live Cell yeast (Diamond V) - Oh Kaye!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wheytogosaanens, Jun 23, 2008.

1. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

How much live cell yeast do you add to your mineral, Kaye?

Ratio or amount used in total (like you use a 50 # bag every 200 lbs. of mineral) etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Camille

2. Belle

Belle New Member

Not Kaye, but she said that she uses yeast at a ratio of 1:5. But I am not certain which type of the Diamond V yeast she uses. My main problem is that the feed stores around here can't/won't get it.

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Thanks very much. Trying to see if we can get a custom mineral mix with the live cell yeast included and comparing the costs.

Our goats have been getting 1:4 the spoiled things! We use the Diamond V live cell yeast. Feed store orders it when we ask them to. It would just be nice to not have to mix it all of the time. Is there a "shelf life" with it? Custom mineral I will have to order a quantity at a time to meet the minimum, so wondering if I will actually be better off mixing it myself.

The cool thing is that we get 3500 ppm copper, 125 ppm selenium and it is organic chelated minerals to boot, for the same price as Sweet Lix Meat Maker and most of the other minerals out there. It is a cattle mineral specific to this area.

Camille

4. Belle

Belle New Member

I can't find a definite answer on shelf life but I am interested in knowing as well.

Congrats on finding a mineral locally that you like!