Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Lists of Brucellosis free states

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Kaye White 
#1 ·
Hey all, Just got my National show packet today...anyone know if there is a website that lists the bru and TB free states? Yes, I know my vet should know, but I called 3 in the area and they did not know...scary isn't it.

Thanks,

Paula

G
#4 ·
It's been a while since I worked at the vet office.....but am thinking that brucellosis strains are mostly species specific. And when I googled it up, it was mostly talking about cattle on the few sites and states that I looked at. I'm not sure that the cow strain, the horse strain, and the goat strain, are all the same......so I'm not at all sure that I could draw any conclusions by the info that I seen about being "brucelloisis free".

If you are very concered about this subject, you may want to try to research it a little deeper to make sure that you understand what animals they are talking about when they say "brucellosis free".

Whim

#5 ·
Thanks....I actually had my herd tested last fall and we were all clean...Now, I am mostly concerned with the Rules in the National show packet. It states, animals entering Kentucky from states that are designated as Class free do not requre testing...otherwise testing must be done 30 days prior on all stock over 6 months of age. That is what I am trying to determine...I assume whoever is checking in at the show should have some sort of list...and that, is what I guess I need to know. When I called my State Vet's office this morning they advised me that, Yes we are a Class free state for Cattle only. Also, that there is no such thing at this time as Class free for Caprine.

Thanks everyone,

Paula

G
#6 ·
That's about what I thought you would find out.

Maybe somebody on the committee's that over see the National show should get in touch with the state health board up there, and get a clarification on what is required to enter that state. Then at least post it on their website to where there would be no misunderstandings about it. ....maybe it is already, I haven't looked.

Whim

G
#8 ·
If TN is a class free state for Brucellosis then you are fine and no additional testing is required (regardless if it is for cattle).

Here in Minnesota we are a class free state for Brucellosis but not for TB. We only have to test for TB to be able to attend the National Show.

Hope this helps.

Sara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.