Listeria

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by steffb, Mar 13, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

Can some one give me the details on this. A friend just told me she had a terrible winter. Lost about 15 babies, a doe, four ewes and her ram to it. Her vet told her she must have brought an infected animal in, she does that. I always thought it came from eating rotten vegetation. The vet also said it could be transmitted from animal to animal. He did not take any blood or bodies to test simply made an 'experienced' judgment. The adults would go off in a corner and be very listless, head cocked and tongue hanging out. A day or so later they would die.
    The kids would be born dead or die shortly after. I am not sure if they were there for any births or if they know what to do to try save a kid.
    Any info would be helpful, for my benefit not her's. It is too late for her.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/news/june2005.html#listeria

my understanding is that it usually is in contaminated/moldy hay or food. but is contagious and can be passed via milk also to humans. can cause abortions etc. believe there are 6 different strains of the bacterium

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I had a doe recently diagnosed with it although I am not sure thats what it was. She pulled through after over a week of SQ fluids, high doses of antibiotics (LA200, then Pen), Dex, and large doses of Thiaminem, probios. Later on the vet decided it was probably a viral encephyitis. Who knows now though...I am not sure which part helped, but I now know what to have on hand (thiamine which my vet wouldn't give me and Lactated Ringers (went through lots)...No one else in my herd ever got it....

4. steffb

steffb New Member

That article was very helpful. thank You