Liquid soap!! I am so confused

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Ravens Haven, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Well I found a recipe online and decided to try it out.

16.5 oz sunflower oil
    7 oz. coconut oil
    5.5 KOH
    8.25 oz distilled water (to dilute lye in)
    8.25 oz goats milk ( adding at emulsion)

It traced and what not...Now it looks like whipped icing..it is fluffy. I have it in my crockpot as that is what this guy did. Is this normal and please tell me it will continue to cook.

Thanks
    Autumn

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Keep cooking and stir it every now and then. The directions probably say to cook it for 3hrs then check it by diluting in a small amount of distilled water. I highly recommend that you cook your soap at 150F for 3 days. This is what Barbara told me to do and the soap turns out perfectly every time.

Christy

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I plan to cook it for 3 days b/c that is what I have read that you all do. I will continue to cook it and stir every now and then. The whipped icing thing weirded me out..

Autumn

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

That is usually called 'mashed potato stage" LOL!! Soon it should enter 'Vaseline stage"

Chrsity

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I got a large roaster to do this in rather than small batches in the crock pot, and yes following Barb's instructions it turns out very good. Using all water keeps it clear...I did use the GM for the final product, shampoo because I didn't care if it was cloudy which it is. I am going to get another roaster this weekend on ebay, zero found at the local flea markets...and Lil had like 5 for sale this last year, I never thought I would have any use for them! vicki

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Yes, it is yellowish clear if you don't use GM. It is a pretty amber color with GM. I have never had it come out cloudy. The roasters a good because you can set them to 150F Crockpots are pretty unreliable with only three settings like warm, low and high.

Chrsity

7. NubianSoaps.com

Really yours is amber with goatmilk? Scenting or using goatmilk makes mine cloudy! I am glad my customers can't see yours! :)

Have you sold any of yours for laundry soap? That's my next gig :) Vicki

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Yep, clear amber. When I add EO or FO it might cloud a bit but it clears right up again.

Aww Vicki you know me, I'd price it too high for most people. Maybe some who buy organic laundry soap would pay my price. I have used it for my laundry though ;)

Christy

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep the crockpot is unreliable, My soap got to the 180* mark tonite so I turned it off and wrapped in blankets and will turn it back on in the morning to start over or do I just need to leave it on. I hope this will be ok.

Autumn

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Ooooh, I think 180F is too high... I like your idea of wrapping it and adding more heat tomorrow.

Christy

11. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

yep, it will cook clear even with goat milk if you cook it long enough.. that is the trick and you can always add just a few ounces of vodka if it is not clear and that helps clear it up,, the vodka cooks off it ..
    Autumn so very sorry that I did not get back with you in time, just turn it back on and cook some more.. I cook mine on the wood stove in the winter time in a double boiler and it never gets too hot that way and I can cook it for days if I want to.. without worrying about it..
    You will love this stuff and it is much too much trouble to make and sell for laundry soap in my opinion.. and would cost too much.. But if they want to pay the price oh well.
    Barbara

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Switching to a double boiler would be great. I had issues with hot spots and scorching using a crock pot.

EXACTLY!! Diluting LS will test anyones patience :crazy That combined with the cost of KOH and oils, I just can't justify selling it for less than $1/oz I do go a little cheaper for the foamers since it is diluted more.

Christy

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

It's ok Barbara, I just wanted to try to so I am making a little batch. I am still waiting on your instructions when you have time.

Thanks
    Autumn

14. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

People are also interested in the liquid soap---it doesn't look like you need a preservative in it right? Carolyn

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Not if you make it right. Unsaponified oils can go rancid and cause problems.

16. WOW now I'm really wanting to try to make some liquid soap. That and I have some people that want me to make some for them. but I am allso confused. I looked in the recipe section and didn't see a redipe for it. SOOO can some one point me in the right direction of a recipe & a how to. PSSST BARB?????? :sigh :help2 I really like the idea of a roasting pan too.

Mary Lou

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I can't wait till you guys all make liquid soap. Then you will finally see why those of us who make it already... hate doing so! :rofl

It's not for the faint of heart! :crazy

Have fun. ;)

Sara

18. NubianSoaps.com

Sara have you used your kettle you use for pasteurising milk yet? I do set it really low overnight so I don't have to add water, but turn it up during the day and just add some water when I walk by...a big automatic double boiler. Vicki

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Nope, I use a roaster which works perfectly. It's the diluting after the cook that's the pain. No easy way around that blob of resin. :)

Sara

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I think I will stick with just plain ole soap for now. Don't have enough time as it is. :)