lip balm

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by SherrieC, Jul 16, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I make lip balm all the time, never check the temp. Twice in a row now I think I've poured it TOO hot. (well Indiana has gotten warm lately) After I unmold the lip tray holder, none of the caps fit the tubes, the tubes have shrank. :crazy Is that what I've done? Wasted 100 tubes of balm? :mad I'm going to push out the tubes and melt and pour them again and wait till it cools before I pour.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I refuse to sit and pour these suckers like that :) I use cute little pots :) but yes you can warp the plastic if you pour too hot! Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Okay, I'm trying to rack my little brain here and not confuse my lip balms (which I don't make anymore, but people want me too!) and my soy candles (ditto - 'cept no one wants me too :lol) I think you should pour at 100 degrees.... one thing I used to do was heat up the beeswax, then add the shea or mango - the softer butters - stir till it was melted, then add the liquid oils and flavor if you are flavoring. At that point it was fine to pour.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Farm girl there is nothing to making good lipbalm. First off course you can use herbalsoapsbyrj.com she has a cocoa butter lip balm tub, you just melt it in the microwave, scent and pour. I think everyone should start of with this type of product, minimal investment, so you know if you like it and if it will sell. Then simply duplicate it. It costs alot more to purchase all the individual oils and butters and...to make things from scratch.

You can make lip blams with simple things also like using lard for the butter in the recipes below, and using olive oil for the oils, vitamin E from wallmart and beeswax from comb honey you find at the store, check out the mexican food isle at walmart. You can also flavor it with honey or vanilla extract.

1 ounce cocoa butter
    5 ounces other oils, jojoba, meadowfoam, sweet almond or anything you want to use.
    2 ounces of shea butter
    2 ounces Beeswax or Dandelilia or 50/50 of both.
    1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E, just squish 3 1000 IU vitamin E capsules from wallmart.
    20 to 25 drops of EO or lip balm flavoring oils.

2 ounces cocoa butter
    1 ounce shea
    2 ounces coconut oil
    1 ounce jojoba or meadowfoam or?
    3 ounces Beeswax
    Vitmain E same as above 1/2 teaspoon
    20 to 25 drops of flavoring

2 ounces meadowfoam oil
    2 ounces Swet Almond
    3 ounces shea
    3 ounces beeswax
    1/2 teaspoon Vitmain E
    20 25 drops of flavoring

.5 ounces Avocado
    .5 ounces Jojoba
    1 ounce beeswax
    .5 shea butter
    .5 cocoa butter

Add all of the above until the beeswax melts, I use real comb honey. Add flavoring and pour. Vicki