Lining wooden molds with silicone....

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by NubianSoaps.com, Jan 16, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Thanks Vicki!!! I am going to do this too. What a great idea.

Christy

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

i just called DH so he can pick up some silicone. That is such an awesome idea.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I love the idea. However, I'm going to let all of you try it first and let me know what you think. :D

I would like to move away from the MM (but keep the same size bars) and this seems like such a great concept. Please let me know how this works for you!

Sara

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep am thinking of this too. just wondering if it puts of any scents to the soap.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Awesome! I will have to try it!

Bethany

7. lynpea

lynpea New Member

I'm going to wait too. I have been reading about this and there have been a few folks that have had some difficulties with it. I'm using the funky foam right now and it's doing fine, but if you guys really can just dump it out of the mold I will be all over it! BTW.... get on the 'dish. There is TONS of useful info on there.

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I tried it. BUT because my molds come apart I couldn't get it on well enough and still be able to assemble/disassemble them. I keep meaning to try it again on a one piece mold. It is hard to get the silicone nice and smooth. And if you get one bit sticking up don't dare pick at it because before you know it you will have peeled off a huge area. LOL

9. NubianSoaps.com

Sara they are using it on MM also.

I am talking to hubby about it today :) He has already tweaked my new molds twice for me, I am to use this one right now before he makes the other 5 I want :) Do I dare silicone it and it be ruined :) Yep :) Vicki

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Well, my husband can make/build anything. I would love new molds but I'm not asking him to make anything new until I know what I want and if it works.

Try it Vicki, try it. ;)

Sara

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh, it won't be ruined. You can peel that stuff off pretty easy. And the little that won't peel off can easily be sanded off. This I know. LOL

12. NubianSoaps.com

Husband is bringing it home tonight. He said it should be easy to get it nice and flat by putting alcohol on your putty knife. He is a contactor and remoldes bathrooms etc, so he is really good at caulking. And I did the old storke the ego thing, that I would love for him to do mine since he is soo much better at getting pretty caulking lines than me :) Gosh I hope this works like they are saying, I PM'ed one of the gals that did this originally and her molds are still working great....Vicki

13. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I sure hope that it works- I can just make the molds I want, and not have to think about freezer paper. I wonder if hers worked so well because her soap was a harder recipe, or because she does OP?

14. beaglady

beaglady New Member

Thanks for the tip about using alcohol on the putty knife. I have homemade hinged molds with removable ends. I've siliconed the end pieces, but have never gotten it smooth enough to feel comfortable coating the whole mold.

15. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay, Vicki, beloved herd queen....inquiring minds want to know :yeahthat

Did you line some wood molds with silicone???? Did you use them???? Did they work???

I am waiting to hear how it turned out. I don't have nor want to spend the big bucks on some of the wonderful molds I see on some of these sites. So I need to make my own and if the silicone thing works woo hoo. It will be much easier for me as a carpenter :yes

I am hoping to make some log molds and some slab molds. But waiting patiently for your comments on the silicone thing.

Thanks

Sheryl

16. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yes.....I want to know too since new molds are on my list this year. I don't want to line and if I can make something myself I'll save a bundle. Dh picked up some wood today to make a small 1lb log box today. But it is toooooo cold to do the silicone thing. His workshop is not heated that well and the stuff is too smelly for in the house I think. He's hoping he can do it at someone else's place this week. But I want it NOW. LOL

17. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry we were swamped this weekend. I promise as soon as I get this done I will tell everyone how it went...I am soo hoping this goes as well as I am being told it does....works well that is ;). Vicki

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I did the silicone tub stuff to my wooden mold turned out great I think was easy and used soapy water to smooth. Now today will be the real test as the rebatch is going in and we'll see if it will come out. Will let you all know.

19. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

woo hoo, can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Sheryl

20. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Looking forward to reading the results too!