Linebreeding/ inbreeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How closely have you bred and what have been the results ?

Thanks , Patty

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Well, I did not marry my cousin but I have heard tell of others who did....isn't this more of a question for those in the ozarks?

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Diane, you crack me up. I think she was talking about goats. :laughcry

Sara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We see this alot in East Texas also Diane. Patty this might be a discussion for Off Topic? Vicki

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

:rofl

Yes I am talking goats . If you want to move it feel free. Please warn if we are gonna start talking kissin cousin as I often am drinking while on the computer ...it makes a mess when it comes flying out because I am laughing .

Patty

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

The long-standing joke around here is that a woman can catch a man if she has all her teeth but she had better know her pedigree and recite it before the first date.

Strangely, my sister moved here, I told her about the teeth thing, she met a guy who left his toothless girlfriend for my sister...THEN my sister found out he was our cousin....she had forgot to recite her pedigree!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Too funny...I need to get off this computer, quit causing trouble and go feed something.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I think we all need to find something to do while we wait for babies !

Patty

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I have closely bred Boers just for meat so of course no problems there and nothing went wrong...no flipper feet or three eyes or anything.

I am thinking about next fall already, breeding doelings that have not yet been born. I could use their grandfather on them, he is here, and i would not have to buy a new buck. These things go through my head. I would have to read pedigrees, look at shortcomings on kids, strengths and such. But I may do it unless I get crazy and buy another buck which I do not have room for and don't need.

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK guys I am trying to figure out if I should have the video camera ready for a 2 headed baby. The 2 I bred have the same sire and dams are half sisters. All very nice by the way and no major flaws , good milk also.

Hey I might be able to sell the pictures if it has 2 heads ! :crazy I am prepared to eat it if it does not turn out well.

Patty

11. NubianSoaps.com

I have bred several sires back to their daughters, it is in fact how I figure out pretty quickly if the buck is going to throw me any extra teats or parrot mouth. I don't do alot of inbreeding unless it's a condensing of lines...Dawn was bred to Winn and Dawn was bred to GE, I bred those two half siblings together (brother/sister with different sires). But mostly all my goats go back to the same lines. In Nubians it's condensing back to lines that worked together, it may be different in other breeds. And it's different in every breeders herd. Vicki

12. HEY NOW....I was borned and raised in the ozarks...its not inbreeding till you have the same father or mother. Its just not talked about then.

But, with goats...I have bred son to mother and full sibling to eachother. You just have to watch what you are trying to get. The more inbreeding goes up the better chance you are going to get all the BAD faults in the animal. Its a two edge sword...you get either REALLY GOOD or you get...well...hope you have a place to hide it. Inbreeding is used alot in swine and poultry. That way they are narrowing down the genetic base that they started with.

Linebreeding.....is TOTALLY different than inbreeding. With linebreeding you are concerned with the one line of animals. There you use sons of the animals....sons of the daughters...grandsons and so forth. That will get a type or production stamped on to your animals. Since you are half way narrowing down your genetic pool.

Examples.....

inbreeding.....
    sire A
    sire A1
    female 1
    sire A2
    sire A
    female A13
    offspring inbred female 13

sire A
    sireA1
    female A27 female 1

sire A
    female A13
    female 13

sire 1
    male 1a
    female a
    male 1ab
    sire 2
    female 2b
    female b

linebred animal(line bred to animal A)

male 2
    male 2ac male 1
    female 213ac female c
    female a

male 1
    female 13a
    male 3

female 3a
    female a

Hope this helps with the difference between inbreeding and line breeding. Line breeding you just have a common animal in the past...with inbreeding you have ALOT of common animals in the part

Ken in MI

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have 3 places to hide the body if it doent turn out well ...I just have to choose which freezer .

Yep I get the difference just hoping to hear some good things. I guess time will tell.

Thanks , Patty

14. It really all depends on whole true your genetic base is...it can ever be great or not so great. With inbreeding it brings out all the skeltons in the closest. Its a FAST way to make sure that your lines are true just not blended well together.

Ken in MI

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl Ok...my take on this:
    It's inbreeding if it don't work, it's linebreeding if it does!

And yes, I've done some of the 1/2 sister to 1/2 brother and worked out great. Sire to daughter...didn't. Twice, won't do that again. Not those lines, anyway. Dam to son...worked on doeling, but not buckling.Buck was cabrito.

Fastest way to meet a fellow....family reunions. 'nuff said.
    Kaye

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well I am experimenting this yr...

I have 1 doe bred back to her father... her twin is bred to my other buck... I was going to breed a second to her father as well, but was blessed to get to use a friend's buck instead...

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We bred a son back to his dam and kept the resulting buck. We have used that buck in limited capacity and tho we got fine kids...thus far they have all been bucks so we havent been able to tell if they were what we wanted, a condensing of the beautiful dam.

However...the dam is on the short side. The buck resulting from breeding son to mother is REALLY short. Like really REALLY short. But so far he seems to throw regular size kids.

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

If i remember correctly, the gene for shortness is dominant in goats. Goats "want" to be short. So it would seem that most inbred/linebred goats would tend towards being short ...unless their line contained an unusual dominant gene for tallness....or perhaps double recessives for tallness or whatever....somebody here knows something I'm sure :/

19. NubianSoaps.com

Shortness is soo previlant in LaManchas. Yes Diane, they do want to be short :) Not a trait I found attractive in LaManchas, we bred Nubian big LaMancha's with LaMancha ears :) Vicki