Linear Appraisal

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Nupine, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

What is Linear Appraisal? I don't understand it.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

This is an ADGA program. And trained appraiser comes to your farm, or a local meeting place, and you present each of your animals to him. It's not like showing, its just stand here, move her here, a step forward, go back over there and walk her to me, one more step...it's about measurment towards the ideal 93 pointed goat. Not 93 points in your breed of goat, but in an overall mixture of all breeds of goats. You get breakdowns in catagories so you can see quickly poor scores across the board in feet, or in head, or in stature etc...so you can see where you are starting, and with your subsequent kids, where you have moved to, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

You use the information to help your breeding program move in the directions you choose for it. It may mean selling animals you previously thought were wonderful...it also may mean that those previously loved goats are awful...or that you don't completely agree with the appraiser because your prefer this or that. It's one on one, you and the appraiser and your goats, I love this part, no interruptions like at shows. Vicki

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Thats Cool. How much does it cost? We are building our herd and we have a few grade goats. One looks like a Nupine. She got second at the fair. Do they have to be registered? Can they be kids? I am really interested in having it done.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes they have to be registered or recorded with ADGA. I don't do young kids, but do think they have to be 3 months. At your own farm it's $225 or $250, know it just went up.

Really, until you have older daughters out of your milkers you have right now, you really won't see improvement seen in your buck you used. Perhap waiting until your second year, when you are milking the babies you bred.

Unless you are breeding purebred Nubians to purebred Alpines, you really can't record Nupines, they don't work in either breed standard. Now purebred to purebred they simply go into experimental. And of course the buck you use must be American or Purebred anyway. Vicki

5. Katarina

Katarina New Member

It is frustrating to us when we have lost two bucks in a row, so we are still not getting full use of LA but we will still continue for each time I will learn more and more and am able to see better what I have (and dont!) :lol

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

HEY! That last post was MINE, can I get it switched to MY post count?