line breeding question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SANDQ, Feb 13, 2017.

1. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

We had no choice but to breed some does back to their father ( buck 1 ) in the autumn. We realise, that any does from this breeding we will need to use another buck. We have another buck ( buck 3 ) who is the grandson of buck 1 we used in the autumn. So Buck 1 was bred to an unrelated doe, That doe was bred to an un related buck ( buck 2, who we bought in from a different breeder ) that breeding produced buck 3. So would buck 3 be to close to breed to this already close line breed? I hope this makes sense

2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

Are these mixed Nubian and local breeds, or all Nubian? If mixed local goats and Nubian, I would go ahead and breed a few to the 3rd buck, but only to does he might improve. If you see the same deficiency in doe and buck, you need a different buck. For example if Buck 3 and Doe both have a slight dip in their chine, then this could be multiplied in the kids. I have some does that are bred back to their own father and they are large framed, solid does with tight udders. I lucked out!

3. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

Most of the back bred does are 50% nubian % 50% local breed, 1 is 100% and 2 are 75% nubian. I can get a new 100% nubian buck but dont want to if I can use my own. The other option is to keep 1 of our 100% buck kids from this year and breed him, but that would be daughter bred back to father, then to half brother. What do you think on that?

4. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

It shouldn't be terrible, but father's brother would be preferable. I wish I had my old genetics book from college, I could copy the pages on line breeding for you. Give me a couple days, maybe I can find the info I'm thinking of online.

5. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

I too studied at agricultural college, but line breeding was not on the schedule. My concern is breeding to close. I bought in a really fine pure nubian buck,in 2015 and used him that year on the daughters of buck 1 so I did not have to back breed. In 2016 2 weeks before we were going to put him with the daughters of buck 1 for a second time he suddenly dropped dead, so we HAD to back breed. Im all for line breeding, especially here in Bulgaria as there are only 2 registered herds of pedigree nubians in the country and and WE are 1 of them. You can buy nubians everywhere in Bulgaria, but you dont know what you are buying as there is no progeny testing, or milk yield records etc etc. Buck 1 we have used now for 4 seasons and gives us around 55-60% female offspring and his daughters are high producing animals, so I want to keep those genetics. So his grandson, on his daughters I think would be ideal, and we did that. His 2016 daughters we bred to his 2016 grandson, but his 2015 daughters were just too tall for the little man cover so we back bred them as we had no choice.

6. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Research Wrights Co-effient. That might help make some decisions for you. Personally, I use a computer program to keep track of my goat stuff, which also can figure inbreeding. Love it and not too expensive in American $. www.kintraks.com

7. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys, will delve in a bit deeper when I get the time