line breeding question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by GallopingGoats, Nov 19, 2007.

1. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

What percentage of inbreeding according to miss dees genetic page do you think is good? What do you strive for percentage wise? Shannon

2. GallopingGoats

no one has an opinion on this? Shannon

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

What is miss dees genetic page? is it the same as using adga?

As far as what percentage, it really depends on what lines you are working with and your short and long term goals. If you are unsure I suggest asking someone who has experience line breeding on the lines you are working with.

Christy

4. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I don't breed "percentages", I breed goats. I breed for type and structure. I also linebreed as tightly as possible.. but I don't let a "number" make my decisions for me..

JMO... Ken

5. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

I agree with Ken on this, breed your goats to make the improvements you need to make. We've done some linebreeding and sometimes it works and others.....well!
    Tim

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I don't know that there is a magic number as far as percents or now. We are trying to tighten up some of our ND lines so I'm line breeding more this year. We'll just see how that all works out in the Spring.

Trisha

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Ditto, Tim & Ken. I don't pay any attention to that.
    I especially like Ken's answer. :lol
    Kaye

8. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Thanks Kaye... I gotta million of em'! :crazy

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What Ken said, but being a Nubian breeder I do make a concerted effort to keep a certain bucks percentage LOW in my breedings. Vicki

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Gee Vicki, I would have no idea what buck that would be... ;)

Sara

11. NubianSoaps.com

This is too funny not to share Sara :)

I wrote Sara and email about someone wanting a buckling from her, and told her who I had recommended, mostly because she also was not wanting too much FM in her bloodline.

Sara wrote me back thinking when I worte FM it was Full Monty :) My buck Nick, out of her Sara's herd, Nick's sire :) Nope...not that FM :)

OK, it was funny at the time! Vicki

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:laughcry

Yeah, and I couldn't figure out why Vicki wasn't telling these people good things about Full Monty since she has one of his sons. I went on to explain to her how much we liked our Monty kids and how all of them in our herd earned their dry legs and went BIS, etc.

I guess it goes to show that the initials FM can stand for 2 very different bucks! ;) We had a good laugh. :lol

Sara

13. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I like Ken's answer too.

You said "inbreeding" , and best that I recall anything over 49% is considered inbreeding.......under that can be called line breeding.
    Inbreeding has always been described to me as a 2 edged sword........the faults in them can be doubled with this breeding method......improvements can be made also,but you can make improvements in a herd by just breeding a good quality buck to a good quality doe.......so I can't see taking the chance in inviting some skelitons out of the closet when the kids hits the ground.

14. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I always look at it this way.... I need to know the faults of the animals I am breeding, even more than I do the strengths... becuase more likely than not, the faults will show up more than the strengths!

Ken

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

That's what I think too, Ken.

Btw......an old timer that used to live around here always went at breeding this way...If he ever did inbreed, he would almost always go father to daughter.....the offspring of this would be completely outbred for the next 2 generations........His saying was in once and out twice. He was a pretty smart old man, but I never tried this route myself.

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I just did A VERY VERY tight breeding . I am antsie to see how it works . If not good it will be freezer meat !

17. GallopingGoats

I prefer linebreeding myself but on the website it says percentage of inbreeding. That's why I posed it that way in my question. I also have always looked at the goats. This year I did a very tight line breeding and wondered if any of you have used the genetics site percentages as any kind of guideline and just what everyones general opinion is on this subject. I know linebreeding has been discussed before but I find the numbers interesting.
    Has anyone heard of writing out the bloodline of both sire and doe and then drawing lines on the paper to make patterns or something weird like that? Someone once a long time ago told me something to that affect but I didn't understand. Shannon

18. NubianSoaps.com

My Twilight is a Dawn daughter bred to a Dawn son. Dawn bred to Winn...Dawn bred to GE...she is outstanding, waiting on udder in April :)

My philosophy in helping new people understand things like this is simple. If you have to ask you shouldn't do it (you don't understand your bloodines well enough yet). If you won't butcher a doeling or put a kid down at birth you shouldn't do it (because you concentrate the bad right along with the good). Vicki

19. GallopingGoats

That is a good philosophy. I expect this to be a very good breeding. Can't wait to see the results. Shannon