Line Breeding: Grandma with Grandson?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rachel, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Hi all,

I have a 3rd gen. mini nubian doe that I am considering breeding with a 5th gen. mini nubian buck from her daughter (grandma with grandson) but was wondering what everyone else's experience was breeding this combo. I have seen some other threads here where people shared successes breeding grandfather with granddaughter but haven't seen anything with the reverse scenario. Would they be far enough removed to produce healthy babies or would there still be a higher risk or malformation, etc?

This would be my first time line breeding, btw. Feedback would be oh so helpful! :)

2. greenTgoats

greenTgoats New Member

You should be ok. With line breeding, all traits are magnified. So if you have very high quality goats, you should be fine, but if your goats have even the slightest flaws in conformation, they will really be brought out in the kids.

Rachel likes this.

3. 3FarmersBrown

3FarmersBrown New Member

We plan to breed our best doe to her grandson this year.

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

T
    hank you, good to know! Is that your standard practice? Have you seen good results from this before?

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks!

6. 3FarmersBrown

3FarmersBrown New Member

Never done it before. Was actually suggested by our veterinarian who breeds dairy goats himself.
    Increasing the chances of having a daughter similar to her.

We have one daughter from her that we bred to her half brother. Ended up with all bucks from that crossing. They were nice looking bucks.

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!