limping kid.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, May 12, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

Stormy is just about 6 weeks old.
    She is a super wired goatling.
    She has either hurt her leg jumping off something too high or she has been broadsided by one of the bigger goats.

she limps and her leg and back near the rear seem to pop in and out as she walks sometimes.
    I can't feel anything wrong and she still runs and jumps on stuff she shouldn't. She runs with the foot slightly off the ground but it has not slowed her down any.

Should I take her to the vet or do you think it will work it's self out.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure you watch her temp, but no there isn't anything really a vet can do. She either hurt herself, or if she starts running fever she has navel/joint ill. Vicki

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Sorry, I missed that one I guess. What is navel joint ill and don't you ever sleep?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Navel ill is an infection that kids can get from bacteria wicking through the umbilical cord which can affect the joints. This is why we iodine newborns. Navel ill is treated with antibiotics. Kathie

5. Corky

Corky New Member

I do dip cords twice with 7% iodine so I sure hope that is not it.
    I will watch her temp just the same.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And feet :) why I started spraying feet also. I soap at night while everyone is sleeping and not bothering me. I get on here while butters are melting or right now I am done and waiting for the Bendryl to kick in and stop my sneezing! 2 am is my limit since I do have the baby in bed with me at 7am, but we don't get up till 9am and I don't milk until 10am :) Vicki

7. Corky

Corky New Member

I do feet too but I may have missed this ones feet. DAMN!

This one is very important to me as she is Mollys last one ever.

She will not be a show quality doe and probably will not be a great milker but if she has her Mamas milk it will be the very best tasting milk there is.
    I have two show quality doelings that I am keeping and I really love the personality of one of them but Stormy will always be my favorite. That is if she makes it to adulthood.

8. Corky

Corky New Member

well, her temp is 102.2 but she hurt her leg again this morning jumping on the play tunnel. She is the jumpingest goat I have ever had. :/

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you may need to pen her up till she heals Little stink!! I had a beautiful little buck that broke his back playing and jumping on stuff. He flipped off and lit on his back. I nursed and nursed him but he couldn't use his back legs at all.