Lime

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wind Drift Acres, Sep 29, 2008.

1. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

To make a mean margarita. :)

Sara

2. :biggrin Sounds tasty! :lol

As far as the barn goes, is it for flies? Someone told me to put some down in the goat pen but why? Can't remember & can't get ahold of the person who told me!

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Oh, you mean barn lime or ag lime. :)

It can be used to freshen up wet pens or floors. It does dry up/cover up damp areas in the barn.

Flies - I don't know if it helps.

Sara

4. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Lime raise the ph in the soil? We have red clay soil. It needs 2 ton per acre to raise the ph for horse pasture.
    I use powdered lime in my horse stalls after cleaning the stall completely. I scrape it out, let dry overnight and then throw down the lime. Then add the new shavings.
    Lime helps to neutralize the ammonia smell.

If it helps with flies, I really don't know.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Using lime and DE will help with fly control

6. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I don't know if the flies are affected by soil ph but the lime dries out the soil considerably and seems to prevent the fly larvae from developing.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ground up/ powdered limestone (lime) is an acid neutralizer.......has high calcium contents. If by neutralizing the acid contents of something, makes flies less attracted to it...then I guess it could be said that it helps keep flies down. But other than that, I don't think that limestone in itself has any fly repellent properties to it.

Since acids being mixed with other stuff (acidic reactions), is where we get a lot of our odors from, I guess it could also be said that it (lime) helps keep bad odors down too.

I few years ago, many of us beagler's used lime around our kennels, much like I see mentioned here sometimes. I do remember that there was a caution put out back then about doing this, and exposing the dogs/yourself to inhaling limestone dust in the process. I'm sorry that I can't remember now what the adverse affects were from inhaling the dust were, but I suspect it wasn't good.

Either way, I'd be careful not to breath in much of it. It's probably one of those things that set up in the lungs like concrete.

Whim

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

After we lime our goat houses, we spread pine shavings over the lime to keep both us and the goats from inhaling the lime dust and also to provide bedding for the goats. Kathie

9. FRW

FRW New Member

We always put lime in all of our barns especially before winter to neutralize the amening smell which also helps control the Pneumonia that has been known to happen from high Ammonia content. Lyme will dry out a wet spot really quick which stops the fly larvae from hatching.Always after you apply the Lime try to scratch it into the ground with a stall rake etc.This will help it start to work quicker.Also put a dry bedding over the lime.It can cause a burn type sore.Also try not to get it on you or breath it.Stay upwind as you are spreading the lime..
    FLOYD

10. jbfarms

jbfarms Guest

Lime is used generally to buffer ph and to help with the ammonia smell. Depending on what part of the country you are in you can buy different kinds as far as calcium/magnesium content & also the fineness of grind. Depending on how much you need, you can always have semi loads dumped at your place, this is generally much more price competitive than bags. We use lime alot for dog runs and such as it helps to keep them dry and I think it helps decompose feces.