life of colostrum in fridge

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 25, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I have some untreated colostrum in the freezer from last year. I'd like to get it out and heat it ahead of time. How long will it stay good in the fridge after heating? Also does it matter how I thaw it out? I'd just use it for the initial few ounces and then do some fresh for the rest of the colostrum feedings. Day 148 w/ my first doe!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It will keep 2 to 3 days good and probably a week after you heat treat it or you can then freeze it. thaw in the frig is best or in cool water

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Colostrum starts to grow bacteria after 48 hours, even heat treated colostrum. It grows more bacteria the longer it sits in the fridge. So I would not reccomend letting it sit there for 3 days. What you can do is to put your fresh heat treated colostrum in sterilized ice cube trays and freeze them. Put it all in plastic bags. Take out what you need when the doe goes in labor and thaw it gently in warm water. Put it in two bags in case one leaks. From there you can get it into your clean bottle. I always make sure the bottles are sterile too, because you don't want to introduce bacteria into the animal before it has had it's colostrum.
    There is time to thaw it gently. There is a 12 hour window before the animals gut starts to close.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I do agree with this Jo as an ice cube of colostrum = 1oz and is so easy to thaw and use.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I never sterilize my bottles. They are clean of course, but not sterile. That's one thing I'm just not going to add to my already full and 'necessary' kidding to-do list. :lol

Heat treated colostrum is frozen in plastic soda bottles. Since our kiddings are planned, I thaw just prior to birth.

Sara

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Whoo hoo, an excuse to drink more soda. Oh wait, I suppose water comes in those bottles too :sigh

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Talking about water bottles. Have you seen those little 8 oz bottles? I made my husband buy a pack for me just so I can use them for colostrum.