Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Our insurance guy is looking into this for us. What do you carry if any? Just the basic small business " doing business as" plan? Of course some of the "farm" is covered under the property insurance. I'd guess that covers it if a neighbor walks up and torments a goat until bodily harm is possible or trips while here buying a kid... Other than that I guess I'm wondering what covers the soap part.
    No longer can I take communal "goodness" and common sense for granted. Crazy world nowadays when anything can become a threat of lawsuit. :crazy

And as a rant... Why do folks think this is some kind of petting zoo? Does anyone have unattended and unannounced visitors trying to go in and "pet" your animals or feed them stuff through the fence? :mad

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No one gets near my goats thanks to my very protective LGD's. :) Just a look is enough to keep most people in their vehicles. They take their jobs very seriously.

Sara

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I forgot about that :lol most of you have more room and LGDs.

I also didn't say that I am always glad to take the time to talk and show off the goats. Sometimes I get visitors-polite, come to the door and ask, which I really love, especially the families with the kids all enthralled with the animals... But to mess around and then say YOUR goat almost hurt ME with inflections to imply it was my responsibility. :twisted

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

um well I only have 2 ac and I have 2 lgd just for that very reason.

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Judith, I talked to my insurance agent before bringing goats home. If I had a large farm, I'd go w/State Farm's farm & ranch division. But, it's just a small start here. I live way up on a hill in the middle of nowhere, so having strangers come in my pen isn't an issue, but my agent did say that TN law says that if someone comes on your property and goes in your fence, they take the responsibility of injury from your animals upon themselves. Any other injury risks (tripping) are covered by your homeowner's insurance. So, as far as farm insurance, homeowners covers all of it except if your animals get struck by lightening or some such oddity. You may want to make sure your "additional structures" insured amount is up to date to cover barns and whatnot. Don't know about soap. Wonder if establishing a LLC or an S-Corp. (or C-Corp? I dunno!) might be something to look into?

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Sondra, do the dogs stay on your land most of the time? Our property total is one acre. Just always figured it would be too hard to keep a big dog at home, off the road, etc.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My dogs live with my goats. But my Anatolian can easily get out of the cattle panel fence if needed. ;)

Each breed is different. My Pyr would protect my 80 acre farm and then some. However, my Anatolian stays closer to the homestead.

Sara

8. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I have three labs and two Ridgebacks (one is a puppy, but will grow to 100+) so people are smart not to enter. Of course they would first need to go over my 8 foot fence or 10 foot gate. If that happens the dogs are going to be the least of their worries. :biggrin

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I don't have LGD's, and my pastures run right along the road. So yes, I get people/kids coming all the time to pet the goats, we did find apple remains outside the fence once. So far, it's only been the neighbors and we talked to them about it, besides their kids are older. AND the entire pasture is in full view of the house where my dh's grandparents live and they sit and watch the goats all day long.

People tell me all the time how much fun they have watching the kids play. Cars slow down every time they go by....but we are on an isolated gravel road so only the people who live around here drive by. I have thought about an LGD...we have 13 acres but not going to happen yet.

10. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

That is unless they have a very good lawyer. (vbg) Sorry to say. They can get around almost anything.
    I know some insurance companies treat LGD like they do pit bulls. Either they won't insure you or you have to pay more. I forget what the term is they use.
    Insurance is just a big headache. But, necessary.
    We have farmowners insurance with Tennessee Farm Bureau as that is the only one that would cover us. The others said they wouldn't cover us if we have over 50 acres. Others wouldn't because we have a doublewide. Whatever.
    We also have the barns a sheds covered separately as riders. Also be aware that you have to have your fences covered separately also. Don't assume they are covered. I had a friend who had a tornado go through her farm. Dropped huge trees on her fences. Insurance would not cover the fences even though she had farmowners insurance. You have to have each little thing listed separately. They dollar you to death.
    Les

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dead end of a dirt road, so nobody can even see us from the road, let alone see the animals. When you come down the drive to buy milk etc...you only see bucks and not to many folks will go over and mess with them, most are afraid.

The does are behind the house and you have to be invited to go back to the dairy barn.

Ridgebacks here and they patrol the property, Merlot is the only one who goes in with the goats and in with me during chores, then she goes back on a radio control collar because she takes her job way to seriously. The other two Rigebacks keep people honest :)

But nobody is out down on our road with pit bulls and rotties chained to every abandoned vehicle around, and the McGaugh's at the dead end of the road, they know how I am about my stock and my children.

Farm Bureau here also...liability and some stock insurance only though. Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Our property is all fenced and cross fenced up to abt 100 ft from the road. The dogs are in the pens. So yep they stay right here. Now if they wanted to yes they could go over the fence but they are pretty much content to stay with in their pens. The male anatolian/pyr cross goes over the gates into the various pens but the female stays where ever she is put.

13. Rose

Rose New Member

I have farm liability insurance through Germania.

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Is liability on a soap business a separate policy?

I never considered LGD, mostly because all I know are the Pyrenees and I've seen how they roam.

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My electric fence works as good on humans as it does with the neighborhood dogs. I only have one acre also, and my driveway is gated, and it stays closed most of the time. Most of my neighbors are retired with no kids at home, so no big troubles with the old folks here because most of these folks know about farming and animals. Close to 20,000 acres of nothing but woods behind my house, so hardly ever see anybody come in from that way.
    I only carry home owners ins here. (ALFA)
    The truth is, anybody can sue you for any reason they want to anyway...(that doesn't mean they will win).

Like I've told folks not so happy with me before..."they'd have better luck trying to get blood out of a turnip".

Whim

16. chewie

chewie New Member

ppl do amaze me. i am always hearing of how awful and destructive goats are--then i ask what fencing did these goats escape from, and i get 'oh, they just roam the yard' well, duh!

we get similar with our horses too--i get offers all the time for some city slicker to come ride my horses 'for me'. uh, i don't need help! esp not from that type! i feel like the older i get, the more 'hermit like' i get too. just keep away!

vicki--you seem very pleased with your ridgebacks. we've considered them in the past, and might have to do it more seriously now. would love to hear of anything about them--have always wondered if they'd fit with me, temperment wise. i just dont' know much about them but have always admired their looks and what seems like a strong attitude.

we are planning to move sometime and the property has more dogs around, and i do worry about the goats and horses.

17. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

My agent told me that dogs are treated differently than livestock as far as liability is concerned. If my dogs hurt someone, it's a little different than if one of my goats decides to jump on or butt someone. Dog: my fault. Goat: victim's fault. At the same time (at least w/Allstate) GPs are not on "the list" that pit bulls are on. I don't have enough property (27ish acres only) or farm income (at least not yet) to warrant a true farm insurance policy. Fences are covered in my "additional structures" rider.

Les, we have a doublewide, also. Insuring that is more expensive than insuring a $310,000 site-built home. (A couple years ago, we had both--sold the big one) Frustrating b/c of the reasons: they expect a site built home to be better-constructed, and less apt to be damaged in a rough storm. We had 2x10 floor joists and plywood wrap, plywood floors, etc. put in this at construction, and that big ol' site built home had 2x6 floor joists, osb floors, insulation board wrap, etc. in it. Their reasons don't hold up. Grrr... Anyhow! If the dw is less than 10 years old, you can get it insured for replacement value. If over 10 y/o, than just current value. So, we can never change insurance after next year b/c it will be 10 y/o and that "replacement value" gets grandfathered in as long as we own that policy. Does Farm Bureau cover your dw?

18. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Chris, we thought about the Ridgebacks -- problems is -- they have no hair! They'd freeze to death in our winters and want to be inside by the stove .....not be outside patrolling where you need them.

Tracy

19. goatkid

goatkid New Member

We actually have a gravel road bisecting our property. The baby pen is up by our house, so folks don't mess with the bottle babies, but the road runs right by the main goat yard. There is a hotel right down the road from us and folks love to see the goats. I did catch one person feeding the goats veggies they brought. I explained the goats need for a regular diet and they respected what I had to say. Other than that, people haven't fed the goats or gone into the pen. I do not have a LGD in with them, but do have a couple of dogs and if someone tried to mess with the goats, they had better beware of Zoe. I think I'd be more concerned about what she would do to someone than what a goat would do. She's a Border Collie cross and is protective of the goats. I don't have insurance. If someone tries to hurt me or my critters, they deserve what they get. Kathie

20. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"Ridgebacks here and they patrol the property,"

I am always amazed that Vicki ever got the UPS guy to get out of teh van the first time...those dogs stauntering off the porch and up to the car are IMPRESSIVE!