LGD's and pregnant does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Chaty, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I was just wondering if any have had problems with their LGD's when the doe kids. I have mine in with my does and they havnt been around when they kidded before. Will they leave them alone or will it be a problem? I am worried about this, and dont know if I need to move the dogs before they kid. Thanks

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

how old are the dogs? for the first time I would defiantly make it a point to be their with both the dog and doe to see how they react and intervene if needed, but the problem is with most dogs is that they will act *totally* different if they want when you're not their. so if they do something their not supposed to while in your presents gripping at them wont always solve it. this is why I'm a fan of shock collars. you can correct behaviors without them knowing it's you doing the correcting. well, I think I effectually ran around the question without answering it.

basically, it's a "how well do you trust your dog?" kinda answer.

-Melissa

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have and use the shock collars with them for learning purposes. They are almost 1 yr old and are doing good with the goats but not the chickens.. Still trying to get it thru their minds not to go after the chickens. I have only had 1 goat kid so far with them around and they were very young and curious. Had to remove them before she kidded, they were in my way. I trust them to a certain point but you never know just like you said. Thanks Melissa

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kathy I have the same problem with my 1yr dogs and I am not going to trust them there on their own. So I have separated the goats heavy bred and will take one dog with me when it is time just to be on the safe side. I think I am going to get the shock collars just because they still like to chase if the goat will run. They are good abt minding me and stopping but don't trust them with newborns yet.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yeti was about a year when he met his first "newborns" but by then, he had already gotten into trouble with the goats and was learning better behavior. I can just say "NO" and he stops whatever it is he's doing.. He was great with the babies.. Then came Sassy, who was about 7 months old when we started kidding and was a natural at being protective and keeping everyone clean, that she wouldn't even let Yeti near them..
    I agree with Melissa, how well do you trust your dog?

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I don't have my LGD any more. I can't stand a dog that digs and when I fell in that CAVE she dug right in front of the gate again that was the last straw. BUT, with that said, she was an Anatolian/Great Pyranese cross. She was 6 months old when one boer doe kidded in the pen with her. The dog is the one who cleaned the kids up, on an extremely cold morning and was standing over them when I came out early that morning to feed. I was praising her for doing so, but then Vicki said she might have taken the kids away from the Mom and wouldn't let her do it. So I don't know if she saved the kids from a stupid Mama goat that would have let them just lay there or if she actually took them away from the Mama goat, either way, she did not hurt them, she cleaned them up and was very proud of them. However, when these kids and some more that were born got old enough to run and play she chased them and drug them around like stuffed animals, so I had to separate her from the babies which sort of defeated the point. I think it was just because she was still such a puppy herself. She was very hard headed and didn't want to mind. She was really more trouble than she was worth to me so she went to another goat home. My place is small enough that I can see from one end to the other and I have also done a pretty good job of taking care of the stray dog problem around here. Dogs and their owners have finally figured out I meant what I said when I told them to pen their dogs up or they are dead. :twisted

7. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

my LGD love the baby's so much that he wont even let mom in with them. So I have to keep him in with the Jr. or bucks.
    Deana

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

My female LGD is great with the babies. She cleans them up and will curl up to keep them warm. The only problem I have with her is that the newborns try to nurse off her so if I was leaving a baby with the momma then I had to separate the dog for a short time so the baby would learn who mamma was. :crazy

Now the male that I had, well, he was over protective of the babies for the first few days and would not let the mammas near them. After a few days he would settle down and be fine. So, I would just pen the mamma and babies in one stall were he could see them but could not really interfer.

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yes, Sondra I think i will separate them from the heavy bred does till they get older...mine still want to play chase too and if I yell at them they stop but its the when Im not out there and the does kid is what I am really worried about. Thanks for all the help and advice too...I have pens I can put them in where there isnt any bred does. Thanks again

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just feel better for the first time being there with them

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep me too. I jknow this morning I had a FF kid prematurely and she still had a way to go ...so think she got butted and the dogs cleaned it all up and I couldnt find anything. If there was a kid it was gone. I did put her in a separate pen for now as watching ehr to see how she is feeling. My female was with her and the male wasnt.

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Mine go into a pen right next to the one with the LGDs a few weeks before freshening. I don't think any of my dogs would hurt them, but I don't take that chance. I did have a pen bred doe who freshened in with the youngest dog & did fine.....but generally I seperate them.