LGD

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Lafingkid, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

Hi, I am looking around for a LGD to guard our goats. If a LGD comes from a CL infected herd could he/she spread it my mini-farm?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

possibly because you can carry it on your shoes so don't see why they can't carry it in their fur or feet.

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have a LGD and she is going to pup soon...depending on where your located you might want 1...

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lisa please put your location in your signature line.

5. I would think they could carry CL. Too much of a risk anyway when it comes to CL.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

NOT worth the risk.

I have found that when folks don't care about CL, and have unthrifty animals that it seems that lack of caring goes across the board. Find a LGD from a breeder who cares, who gives excellent nutrition to the bitch and the sire of the puppies. Who spends time with the puppies and makes sure that they get an excellent nutritional start. Do they check bites? Someone that knows something about the temperament of their dogs and will help you have a successful relationship with your LGD.

What holds true for goats holds true for dogs - you get what you pay for, and the cost of the animal is just the beginning of the cost of the animal.

7. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

Thanks everybody. It is kind of what I was thinking, but Camille you really layed it out for me. I don't know why I never thought about it being on my shoes, but I never wear the same shoes to another farm that I wear in my own goat yard.

Sorry about the location thing. When I signed up I was pretty sure I put it in there, but I know I tried to fix it once before and couldn't. Now it is in my avitar, so that should clear things up a bit.

Thanks,
    Lisa