LGD ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Which breed do you have?
    Do you think your dog (s) are a good representation of the breed?
    Please describe your individual dog's temperment?
    And would you trust them around your own or little kids (children ;)) unattended?
    Thanks!

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have anatolian/GP mixes. They are great dogs! I like the GP but did not want to deal with all that hair and the TX heat. Mine have the anatolian hair but the attitude of the GP. I have a male and female. They are great with the goats, clean up babies and protect the girls. My male is more stand offish then the female. He will stay with the goats were as the female will leave them. Of course I have been told that this is how they work. One patrols while the other stand guards.

Mine I totally trust with children, but then I taught them this when they were young. I did not want to worry about a child getting bite by one of them especially considering the dogs weigh 150+ lbs. My children go in and out of the pens, play with the dogs, climb on the dogs with no fear and I have no worries. When other children come, they soon realize that the dogs are not going to hurt them. Now, I will tell you that they try to protect the smaller children like they would a baby goat. My daughter use to get so mad at the female because she would form a "C" around her and she would not be able to walk. I thought it was cute. But Sierra would yell and push the dog until she moved! Never have one of them tried to bite. I can even take food away from them without fear. (although I don't let the children do this) But I do have to say that once we were gone and the male would not let our friend into the pen to feed. Poor dogs had to eat off the ground until we got back because the food had to be dumped over the fence!

I will never be without a LGD as long as I have goats. They are by far my favorite breed of dogs.

Hope this helps.
    Theresa

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We have registered AKC Pyrenees, that come from outstanding bloodlines. They are an excellent representation of the breed. They are beautiful, noble, intelligent (uncanny in their intelligence many times), with excellent temperaments.

Are they a typical representation of the breed? In many ways, yes. There are a lot of outstanding Pyrenees out there, and not all are registered (and we've known a few breeders with AKC dogs that had average conformation, and less than ideal temperaments - they raise and sell Pyrenees, they are not really Great Pyrenees breeders, if you know what I mean).

We have 6 Pyrenees, since we do breed them and all have different personalities. Some are more laid back than others, some are absolutely head over heels in love with newborn kids, while others are more matter of fact about everything. All are charming and lovable. They remind me of children, where you get the chance to see their personalities and just enjoy them for who they are. Oh, and they are all strong minded, dedicated to their job, absolutely fearless, and big lovers all at the same time.

I trust them around my children absolutely (and unattended). They protect my children and for this I love them dearly. Ursula (18 month old pup) always places herself approx. 15-20 feet from our 2 year old. Wherever he is, she is. I do tell the children not to approach the feed bowl when a dog is eating, but that rule goes for any dog. One of our dogs would jump at overly inquisitive goats at feeding time and if the goats just wouldn't let up, they would strike them with their closed muzzle. No damage, but it does hurt.

I don't worry when we have visitors as they are quite friendly. However, if someone had evil intentions, they would deal with them. And I almost pity anyone who tried to harm one of my children when the dogs were there.

We absolutely love them and appreciate them. In the 7 years we have owned Pyrenees, we have never lost any animal to a predator. And we live next to 15,000 acres of timberland teeming with coyotes, mountain lions, bears, as well as moose, elk and deer.

Camille
    P.S. And don't encourage me to tell stories - I become one of those "doting" parents and you can't shut me up! :)

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:yeahthat I an the GP/ANT mix also and I have 4 and they are Great...dont know what I did without them before...

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have one FB GP female and a mix anatolian/GP male Both are very friendly and wouldn't hurt a child. Tho they are not around children so I don't let strangers up to the male as he is more protective to his goats. However I have a GP earlier that would have eaten anyone except me, he is no longer here. When you get one get a pup you can train. Don't get a 6mo to 8mo old

6. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Proper training is the key to a health relationship with your dog. We have labs and ridgebacks all akc registered. I went to a breeder’s house and his dogs would have torn me apart given the chance, but were very sweet and loving to him. Ours are great around the kids. Like mentioned above I can take food out of anyone of their mouths without worry. We spent time training them which makes all the difference.

I think all dogs can be good or bad depending on how they are raised.

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a GP/'farm shepherd cross. He is awesome! He is more of my 'farm dog' than my goat dog, but he does that too. He is great with children, although they don't always appreciate it. :) I trained him from puppyhood to let me and the kids get at his food. I try to teach the kids to leave dogs alone with their food, but I feel to do both is safer. It took him once with me and twice with the kids to figure it out. I totally and completely trust him with the kids unattended.

8. I have two full sisters, Great Pyrenees. I like them. They do their job.
    I wouldn't trust my two with being with children alone because there aren't any children around here so they weren't taught that children are ok. Now I could take my little nephew in the pen and while I am in there they wont mess with him.
    They do their job though. They cornered my Pug when she went in there. That poor dog was scared to death. They didn't attack her but they were barking and growling so my mom went to see why they were. They immediately backed off when she yelled at them. So we do know they do their job. They even got between my angus heifer and the goats...of course the heifer was on the other side of the fence.lol
    Over all I am happy with them. :)

9. Jennie

Jennie New Member

Well, I just have to say something because I'm just in love with our GP. He is 7mo and we got him from Camille as a young puppy. I trust him completely with the kids, he has always been gentle with them. Even the 3 yr old. He is doing great with the goats, cats, and chickens. What I like the most is that at even 7 mo he is protecting the place from coyotes. I have decided that as long as we have goats and kids and live in the country there will be a GP around. I'm already starting to save for the next one to replace our old dog so that we will always have two guard dogs around.

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Right now we have 2 anatolians, one Anatolian/pyr cross and 3 pyr. The anatolians seem to be faster to respond. They are the first running to the street. The pyrs seem more inclined to wait to see if whatever it is really is a threat. They are all affectionate and loving. I woudl trust any of them with my children. The one that I would trust unwaveringly, without a hint of hesitation is the pyr/anatolian cross. She was our first LGD, the one who refused to stay WITH the goats buy who earned her role as all-over-the-property dog by chasing three full sized great danes away from our toddler when they were charging at him. She was 8 months old.

SO much has to do with personality. We have one pyr who will NOT leave the goats. He is friendly, likes attention, but doenst CRAVE it. you take him from the goats and he stops eating. He doesnt care as much for the milkers or bucks...babies up to 1 yr is his preference. We have a few others who guard very well, but tho they are trustworthy with the goats, prefer to not be in WITH the goats.

We will always have LGD but not one--we made that mistake before and lost a valuable buck when a pack of dogs drew the one LGD that we had away while others attacked the buck.

My #1 choice for LGD is an anatolian/pyr cross. #2)pyr #3)anatolian

11. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We have one Great Pyrenees and two Marema's. The Pyrenees has never really done anything but lay by the house and dig up my flower beds - maybe she keeps some predators away just by being here and by her barking but doubtful, :sigh she is a big sweetheart around all of us so she gets to live her days here regardless.
    The two workers are the Marema's. :D They absolutely LOVE the goats and are with them constantly. They are not cuddly with us and in fact we can't even catch the female but we want them to guard the goats and they do that flawlessly. They would never hurt us but put on a good show towards strangers and living on a blacktop that is something important to us. These two Marema's to us are the definition of a working guard dog and worth their weight in dogfood that's for sure.
    Mary

12. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Okay, I was only going to read the replies and not reply myself but I want to brag on my Great Pyrs now too! :biggrin My husband always wanted a Great Pyrenees so when we found out someone very close to us was selling some puppies we got one right away, before we had any other animals besides 2 other dogs. Lala got along okay with the other dogs, but she was definitely low man on the totem pole. When she was about 10 months old we got our first goats and many chickens. I wasn't sure how she would be around the animals since she hadn't been around them since she was a few weeks old. Lala was fantastic!

She is a great guardian for the goats and has never touched a chicken. When our German Shepherd (her former playmate and superior) squeezed through the gate into the goat pen she had the intruder on the ground with her mouth around her neck holding her until we came. The German Shepherd didn't know what hit her.

When my son is home alone he lets Lala in the house to guard him. She does a good job for him but can't wait to get back outside with her goats. She is also great with other kids, though she went through a stage of jumping on people and kids alike.

She is absolutely in love with any babies around. As soon as she sees a baby goat you can literally see a change happen in her. It is so funny. I have to keep her away from the new mom and kids at first because she tries to be the mom and lick them and clean their butts. But when we have bad moms that don't clean kids butts it is a bonus. She will stand guard outside the kidding pens for 3 days after the kids are born, then when the mom ventures out without the kids the first few times, Lala stays with them.

We now have 4 Great Pyrenees and though Lala is obviously my favorite, they are all great. 2 of the 4 are 4 month old puppies and neither has killed any chickens and only half heartedly ran after them a few times. They are really the best dogs ever. I don't know if I will ever have another breed of dog around here.

I can't believe I just got all gushy about my dog. :crazy

Tiffany