LGD question--frontline & sentinel?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Aug 12, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Hi all--have yet another question while I'm here! I've been getting Frontline and Sentinel from the vet for my GPs but it's really expensive! Is there another source out there, or a different product that I can pick up OTC that works just as well? Next dose isn't for anther 2 weeks. Thanks!

2. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have switched to comfortis...it is from the vet though but works so much better! Its a pill that lasts for a month. We have horrible fleas down here in Florida and so far this is the only thing that is really working. I think it is like $90 for a 6 pack...pricey but before i was spending as much on frontline and advantage and it wasn't even working!

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

IF your vet will write you a prescription....check out 1800PETMEDS or www.petmeds.com, also Drs Foster &Smith. Prices will be cheaper. Frontline is now OTC but you won't find heartworm prevention without a prescription.

Also, consider using Interceptor instead of Sentinel. Sentinel contains a flea birth control...doesn't do you a whole lot of good when your Frontline is killing the flea anyway. Interceptor is quite a bit cheaper, still has the same combo as Sentinel but w/o the flea additive, lufenuron.

I don't believe Comfortis has the same intestinal parasite protection but not real familiar with it.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I want my flea control to work on fleas, not parasites. I use Bio-spot, I start it at Easter and use it until Thanksgiving. The trick is to start early with your flea and fly programs.

I use Ivermectin for heartworm control monthly and it has a residual effect that my dogs rarely have worms. I worm with droncit after summer for tapes and I use morantal tartrate when pregnant or whelping for dams and the litter. I rarely have to do anything more than that...but I fecal.

I am not a fan of vet scripts like you all use, they are a fortune and we have 3 large dogs.

Pet edge, jeffers usually have the best prices for our dogs. Vicki

5. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Vicki, do you use just the plane Ivermectin for the heartworm and at what rate? Can you get the droncit from Jeffers or do you have to get it from a vet and at what rate do you use it?

Thanks, Ray

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Ok, this is something I just found out about. Bayer, who makes advantage, also makes a product called Bayer Tree and Shrub. They both have the same ingredient, imidacloprid, but the tree and shrub is 18 dollars for a huge thing of it. It has enough imidacloprid to treat like 90 medium sized dogs! So I bought it and put it on one dog. I was a little skimpy on the dose because I was a little afraid of it, but it does say, right on the bottle the same ingredient. Only thing is it is lower concentration, so it takes like 12 cc's for a medium dog. But heck, you can't beat that price with a stick! This won't help really with ticks though. I guess a lot of people out there who hunt and have a lot of dogs have been using this for years, before they came out with advantage brand. You can find info about it on the internet.

Also, the regular Frontline, you can buy the largest dog size and use it on the dogs and cats. I'm not sure about the plus, I think it's different, but the original can be used interchangably. Also the promeris for cats, the large cat costs the same as the small cat size, and the large cat is exactly 2 times the small cat dose, so get the large cat and on your small cats it's half price. HTH I'm cheap, can you tell? But really, I have 2 dogs and 5 cats and can't afford the 90 dollars a month for the name brand stuff. They should be ashamed ripping people off like that. Just be careful, some things you can put on a dog will kill a cat and vice versa.

7. NubianSoaps.com

I do use the 1cc on the ridgebacks, mostly because my vet said it wasn't going to hurt anything and it also keeps worms at bay with that dosage.

Now on the little dogs I mixed it with propolyn glycol and then gave it...if anyone wants the dosage I will write it down.

I would not give it straight to anything other than large healthy dogs.

I don't like keeping my dogs on flea meds during the winter when we don't have flea problems so I prefer having everything seperate.

Droncit I get from my vet, I give as much as she gives me for the 3 big dogs, so sorry I do not know a dosage on it. I know some of the other catalogs...have a tape worm tab, I have never used them or fecaled to see if they work though.

I really love Fosters and Smith I think of the catalogs they have really good info in theirs. vicki

8. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

My vet told me about the ivermectin for heartworms...I have the dosage written down somewhere but haven't used it yet as I haven't run out of heartguard. What confused me is the whole collie issue. I have a border collie cross and they can be allergic to ivermectin, but then the active ingredient in heartguard is ivermectin! Is it because it is more diluted? Doesn't make much sense to me...

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It is not that they are allergic to ivermectin, it has to do with how it crosses the blood brain barrier which I believe is easier to cross in collies. The dose in Heartgard is too low to cause problems....I would think that the dosage your vet gave you would also be too low to cause problems.

There are enough other heartworm meds out there that if you are worried, use something different. There is Sentinel/Interceptor (milbemycin oxime), Revolution (selamectin, also kills fleas) and also a couple newer products.

10. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Yes Vicki,

I would like the Ivermectin dosage for pups. I have 2 GP 3 months old weighing 18 and 20 pounds. In good health and we want to start a heartworm preventative.

Thanks
    Lynn

11. lyceum

lyceum Guest

Our vet has had us buy the large dog size Frontline and divide it up with a syringe and needle. Saves us money. Can't do that with Promeris though. Cat and Dog Promeris are different.

Carisa

12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yea, we saved a ton of money back when frontline worked for us for fleas. It stopped working 2 or 3 years ago. We had like 8 cats though, back when we split the doses down. So it was a wonderful discovery. :)

13. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

vicki which ivomec do you use for your dogs?... same as goats?... i saw on HT where they said you could worm poultry with ivomec as well 3 drops twice day. I hadn't thought about ivomecs use extending into small animals :S

14. NubianSoaps.com

14cc of Ivermectin 1%
    86cc of Propolyn Glycol

mix together and keep in fridge.

Start pups at 12 weeks. Give 1cc per 100 pounds orally once weekly for 5 weeks then once a month for life. Obviously on pups you are going to use a 1cc syringe and if they weigh 10 pounds you give the 0.1, 20 pounds you use the 0.2 etc. I round up on all my dogs. I have used this on tiny little Shih Tzu's and our Ridgebacks (and Scotch an anatolian/pyr and my sisters pugs). This came from a vet who raised Rottie's when he spayed my original ridebacks back in the mid 80's. Vicki

edited to move my decimel point, thanks Mill valley. Vicki

15. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Vicki...you mean 0.1 ml for 10 lb, 0.2 ml for 20 etc right? If you are doing 1 ml/100 lb, for 10 you would do 0.1 not 0.01...right? ???