Lezpedeza hay

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, May 9, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My friend mentioned her grandpa and her were planting lezpedeza for hay. I'm wondering if this would be a good replacement for alfalfa? I'm trying to figure out some way to keep from paying 10 dollars a bag for alfalfa pellets. It's just too much with this many goats. I'm going through it too quickly, and i'm not even feeding the full 3 lbs because my hay has a good amount of red clover! If I get stuck with straight grass hay next time, ugh.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DM CP BP* TDN (Mcal) Fat
    Lespedeza hay 92 12.0 30 44 42 2.8
    Alfalfa pellets 90 17.0 35 50 50 1.8

Comparison look fairly good. I know they are running test trials also on it for worm control because of the tannins in it.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I wish I could get alfalfa pellets for $10 a bag! We're paying almost $14 dollars a bag here in central Va....and they tell me it is going to get worse.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ashely is every single goat on your place moving your forward to your goals now? That is what breeding and starting your bloodline is all about, culling. Getting down to the amount of goats you can mange with the best of everything is far better, than scrimping to feed too many goats. A small tightly linebred herd of quality animals always makes you more money in the end than alot of poorer quality animals especialy if they can't get top notch care, which includes barn space and room to move. Vicki

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

when I called around to get feed prices recently, Ashley, Quality Feeds on 65 just south of Harrison quoted me 7.80 a bag.

6. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Geeze!! You guys wanna mail me some??? I am paying $20 for 80lb bag. I actually decided the girls just have to do without the pellets and just eat the hay!

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yea Laura, it's just that the diesel would more than make up for it. We don't go to harrison often. And even beyond that, I'm trying to figure out things I can grow myself to eventually feed the goats entirely off our land. My understanding is that alfalfa does not grow well here, you have to spray the heck out of it for bugs.

I don't have as many goats as some here. I currently have 8 goats. I have 2 nubian does that are permanent. I have the buck I recently bought from you, Vicki. I have one nubian that we bought just for milk and she will be sold after she is bred this fall. Then I have one toggenburg. She will be kept as well. Everyone loves her and she is showing herself to be an excellent mother, a characteristic I care about, dam raising. Then we have her baby. She will be sold, much as I hate too. Then I have 2 lamanchas. They are a mother and daughter. I would sell them both, but my dad really likes Glori, the mom. The baby has too many teats, so I need to sell her to a pet home or something. I probably should have put her in with the whethers we sent to butcher, but couldn't hardly stand to.

But I feel so ineffiicient buying food for the goats in such an expensive way. For my horses I would always prefer to buy hay out of the field for 3.50 a bale etc. for the winter, and let them eat pasture the rest of the year, not feeding large amounts of bagged feed!

I also have 2 horses, we have a couple cows and I pay for my 2 dogs and feed the 6 cats as well (there's your fluff vicki! lol). And I can't stand to feed trash, so I buy good food for them. I have recently started feeding my dogs and cats raw chicken I get by the 40 lb boxes and that is cheaper. So that helps.

But I'd really like to whittle things down to where I can grow all that's needed eventually. Quit depending on the feed stores.

8. One thing also you might want to look into. If you have a baler and all that....cut grass early before boot...about now! It will have a higher RFV than you would think

Ken in MO

9. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Hi Ashley,

Tell me exactly what Central Virginia means. My parents live in Charlottesville. An acquaintance has used Lezpedeza for years during show season saying the does can't resist it and they milk great on it. I have wanted to try it for years, just haven't found any.

We buy our ap in Maryland for 19.20 a 100 with a small discount for quantity. It is a long trip but well worth the savings.

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I picked up a couple of bags of alfalfa and chickory seed at MC feed this spring, the stuff they sell for deer pasture. I broadcast that on my little hayfield on the hill behind the house as an experiment, to see if I can add a little to my main hay supply. I would have drilled it in if I had equipment. Theres a lot of clover in it, and a little lespedeza. I liked adding some more variety if it works, not sure it will.
    Goat Husbandry has the info we need on growing feed- at least the average amounts and what to grow per animal. I think its a bit basic- I would guess the author was in an area where a lot of people did this so a lot of the basic info was taken for granted and not stated. Guess we'll have to refind the info elsewhere or learn thru trial and error. I anticipated having my cornfield/three sisters plot in by now- but with all these storms, I havent gotten it tilled up yet. May be too late to get a corn crop this year, much to my disappointment. Trying to decide what to plant and how to use it, stuff that can be hand planted and harvested, that will work in our climate and unique weather pattern; is the challenge now. Then how to use it, and how to maximize it and purschases inputs for health and reproduction and milk production. There just doesnt seem to be much info avaiable on that, and its not just "growing to keep them going" I'd like to learn, but how to provide and use quality inputs -both homegrown and purchased- that will help maximize my animals potentials.

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Laura, I haven't planted my corn yet either, but it should be fine to plant soon I think. It takes 4 months to grow and we dont' usually frost until maybe mid October. Even if it frosted towards the end of the corn maturing, it will be ok I think (field corn). I grow a red corn, bloody butcher corn, that makes the best cornbread EVER. :)

12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Jolene, I think you've got me mixed up with Anita, I'm in Arkansas. Thanks for the info on the Lespedeza, it sounds like it might be a good thing to try. I will call Caitlin today and see if they will have any extra to sell.

I don't have equipment, but heck, I would get me a good scythe and go for it! Maybe I'll be able to plant and grow part of my hay needs next year.

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Patina,

Check with Newport Feed and Pet. We are getting 1 ton of alfalfa pellets for $360.00/ton. Come in 50 lb. bags. My girls love it and are milking great on it.

Camille

14. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Sorry, I saw Lezpedeza and got excited!

15. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Camille, I may just have to stop in and ask about alfalfa, but I HATE stopping in there and giving them my money. I dont really agree with how they keep up there zoo...
    Also $360 per 2000lb = $0.18 and $20 per 80lb = $0.25. That really isnt a HUGE difference. Granted I will be saving $140 in the long run but that is still $360 that I dont have "upfront"..that is part of my issue unfortunately. Maybe I will take my price quote into where I am getting my feed now and see if they can make me a better deal! It is always nice to play businesses against each other. May not chance anything but it never hurts to ask.
    I keep going back and forth, I like the idea of the pellet since they get so much more per lb and dont waste basically ANY, but on the other hand it cost more and I still have to buy grass hay on top of it in the winter, so I am trying to do the best I can and it is hurting my brain!!LOL
    Thanks for the input though. I will certainly look into it.
    Patina

16. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I live in what is normally referred to as "Central Va," about an hour and a half south of Charlottesville, near Farmville and Appomattox. Some friends sold me a few bales of Lezpedeza hay last year from a field they had just started leasing. It was terrible hay as it was cut late, too mature, drought affected, etc. It was probably the filthiest hay I've ever seen, due to the growing conditions. I'll probably get some more this year as we've got plenty of rain and the field will be cut early. Good luck with this "poor mans alfalfa" as I've heard it referred to.

17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh well that definately sounds like me! Rightly fit for a poor mans cow I reckon.